• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not on Payroll mean no support?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly. For once we have the government saying fill your boots and we have contractors habitually tying themselves up in theory
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
      You've said this on a couple of threads now and it's totally incorrect. Here is the guidance:

Check if you can claim for your employees' wages through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme - GOV.UK

If you cannot maintain your current workforce because your operations have been severely affected by coronavirus (COVID-19), you can furlough employees and apply for a grant that covers 80% of their usual monthly wage...

So, if the poster can't land a new contract because the market has been severely impacted by the pandemic then he is well within his rights to furlough himself from his company and claim on the scheme.

Hi that is correct, I have had contracts put on hold due to Covid and not able to land a new one.

Comment

I agree

Originally posted by JamieB101 View Post
        Hi that is correct, I have had contracts put on hold due to Covid and not able to land a new one.
        Jamie - I'm in your camp. I have worked all my life and have never taken a single pound from the welfare state. I have paid all my taxes happily and encourage my kids to do the same, because that was the right thing to do. I have been out of contract for several months, but managed to secure a contract in early March. Needless to say, the Client put a hold on all onboarding due to the current virus pandemic. As someone who is old enough to know better, I should have saved more money for times like this - but some how life got in the way. I have paid at least 30% tax on any turnover for the many years, while big Business pays less than 1% - yet I am told i am not entitled to anything form the UK government now. Thank god for credit cards - shame on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Johngerald View Post
          Jamie - I'm in your camp. I have worked all my life and have never taken a single pound from the welfare state. I have paid all my taxes happily and encourage my kids to do the same, because that was the right thing to do. I have been out of contract for several months, but managed to secure a contract in early March. Needless to say, the Client put a hold on all onboarding due to the current virus pandemic. As someone who is old enough to know better, I should have saved more money for times like this - but some how life got in the way. I have paid at least 30% tax on any turnover for the many years, while big Business pays less than 1% - yet I am told i am not entitled to anything form the UK government now. Thank god for credit cards - shame on me.
          Universal Credit?

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
            How far back would you propose people can go? If someone lost a contract at the end of last year, and has been unable to get a contract since (perhaps due to IR35) would you advocate they can start claiming CJRS from the start of March?

Its probably within the written rules, but I doubt is what the scheme was meant for. What if they've since started another permanent or Umbrella role but were still paying themselves PAYE? Should they also be allowed to claim? I can't see the rules disallowing that either.

People can (and will) do what they feel is the right thing for them. The lines we chose to cross are in different places.
            Youve answered the question yourself

Comment

Originally posted by Johngerald View Post
              Whay are you not entitled to anything ?

Self Employed Scvheme ?.. No because you operate via PAYE
              UC ? - savings above 16K ?
              CJRS - Furlough yourself ?

Comment

Working...
              X