• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has anybody here furloughed themselves yet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    and that's just his 'opinion'. Did you ask him to point you to the area of guidance where it said you weren't entitled?
    Because his company is still getting income so his work hasn't dried up because of Covid I'd expect. The finer details of how much work it requires to collect the rent is the argument but if his company is still generating income he shouldn't need to go on Covid support. Seems reasonable.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yeah if the LTD has money coming in I'd say it's not needed - especially if that money is coming in from being a landlord! Unless you can establish that the landlord themselves isn't involved in doing any work for the money (hmm, may have a point there )
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
        To clear this up, and having spoken with an HMRC agent, he says I am not entitled.

The rent was the binder.
        What is the main revenue in the limited company? The rental income or typically you invoicing companies for your services?

I don’t think having income coming in excludes you from the CJRS as this would then mean that most companies are excluded as they still have some income coming in.
        Last edited by jamed; 22 April 2020, 16:43.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
          To clear this up, and having spoken with an HMRC agent, he says I am not entitled.

The rent was the binder.
          What was their comments regarding the warchest? If you didn't have the rental income but still had a significant warchest, would that have been deemed acceptable (in their opinion)?

Comment

Originally posted by Scoooby View Post
            What was their comments regarding the warchest? If you didn't have the rental income but still had a significant warchest, would that have been deemed acceptable (in their opinion)?
            I don't think they would have cared. It's just the fact rent would be income which makes part of his wage.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              So you'd rather take nothing than £500 and consider yourself better off?
              The £1200 or so I might be able to claim won't make a blind bit of difference to my financial position.

Then there is the moral question and also the legality, ICan I still buy training courses etc.

Comment

Originally posted by coolhandluke View Post
                The £1200 or so I might be able to claim won't make a blind bit of difference to my financial position.

Then there is the moral question and also the legality, ICan I still buy training courses etc.
                No. If the company is paying then its work.

If you do it out of your own pocket then it isn't of course.

Comment

Originally posted by jamed View Post
                  What is the main revenue in the limited company? The rental income or typically you invoicing companies for your services?

I don’t think having income coming in excludes you from the CJRS as this would then mean that most companies are excluded as they still have some income coming in.
                  Exactly. Big companies that are furloughing staff have tens or hundreds of millions of pounds in reserve that's earning interest or dividends while their shops are shut. They are still claiming on CJRS.

The HMRC bod is probably a low-paid trainee they had to draft in.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    No. If the company is paying then its work.

If you do it out of your own pocket then it isn't of course.
                    Not sure if this really differentiates between who pays, but doesn't sound like it matters.

"If your employee undertakes training

Furloughed employees can engage in training, as long as in undertaking the training the employee does not provide services to, or generate revenue for, or on behalf of their organisation or a linked or associated organisation. Furloughed employees should be encouraged to undertake training."

Comment

^ correct. Not generating any revenue on a course.
                      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                      X