• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Previous contract offer ignored.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JamesC34 View Post
    I see your point, but If James replied in writing "That's fantastic news that you have accepted my offer" it would prove the offer was real, no?

This is what happened in my case.
    No

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

I see your point, but If James replied in writing "That's fantastic news that you have accepted my offer" it would prove the offer was real, no?

This is what happened in my case.
      That's exactly what I did in the reply you quoted. So it must be real? Pay up.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
        The only options to the OP is that the Umbrella he is working through furloughs him using the CJRS.

The issue he will face is that most umbrellas are not furloughing as:

a) They tend to pay NMW and 'bonus payments', those bonus payments will not be reimbursed.
        b) They will have a pay holiday pay accrual, effectively 10% of your wage, not reclaimable.

The scheme and the guidance are iterating quickly, so you may find this lacuna is dealt with - however for now, work on the assumption that this will not happen.
        Thanks that is useful advice.

My role ends in a week, so in effect I will no longer be receiving pay through my umbrella company, or indeed any pay. Will this change circumstance affect the Umbrella companies willingness to furlough me? I am not sure in what sense I will still be an 'employee' of theirs?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          That's exactly what I did in the reply you quoted. So it must be real? Pay up.
          Sorry, just to be clear, this is the scenario....

Manager (verbally): "I have clearance to give you a 6 month contract extension if you would like it?"

Contractor (verbally) "Let me think about it"

Contractor (in writing) " I have thought about it and I accept your 6 month contract at £x rate per hour"

Manager (in writing, with details of the offer copied below in the same email) "That is great news you accept the offer"

You see the difference? It 100% confirms the offer was made.

Comment

Manager (verbally): "I have clearance to give you a 6 month contract extension if you would like it?"

Contractor (in writing) " I have thought about it and I accept your 6 month contract at £x rate per hour"

Manager (in writing, with details of the offer copied below in the same email) "That is great news you accept the offer"

It sounds like the manager did not have the authority to make you an offer, but did so. If you really wanted to push it, you could try that angle, and see whether the company stands behind the manager or throws them under the bus. Expect £000s in lawyers fees to go down that route.

Of course, the company could then give you a contract, but say there's no work and therefore no timesheet for you to complete.

Comment

Not following your point here, when was the contract signed ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Umbrella won’t furlough

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  It sounds like the manager did not have the authority to make you an offer, but did so. If you really wanted to push it, you could try that angle, and see whether the company stands behind the manager or throws them under the bus. Expect £000s in lawyers fees to go down that route.

Of course, the company could then give you a contract, but say there's no work and therefore no timesheet for you to complete.
                  Thanks - my thoughts too.

The other point here is that I didn't follow up on two good offers elsewhere, because the current role 'was being extended'.

My gut feeling is that legally I would have a strong case, but the costs would be enormous.

Comment

Thanks - my thoughts too.

The other point here is that I didn't follow up on two good offers elsewhere, because the current role 'was being extended'.

My gut feeling is that legally I would have a strong case, but the costs would be enormous.
                    Can you evidence loss from these two offers? ie. Did you have a concrete offer that you turned down and have they since been filled and people are currently in the role and being paid?

Comment

Sadly contract offers get made and they disappear all the time.

This is not new with this CV nonsense.

So, how would you expect to manage this scenario if coronavirus wasn't about? It's exactly the same. The only difference being that you "could" claim some money off the government if your umbrella was willing to furlough you.

Comment

Working...
                      X