• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CJRS while on the bench with ad-hoc work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried to claim via "www.tax.service.gov.uk/coronavirus-job-retention-scheme "and it says
    You cannot claim for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme grant

31 July was the last date that you could submit your first claim. As you did not make a claim before 31 July, you are no longer eligible for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme grant.
    Are they trying their best to give nothing to company directors?

Comment

Originally posted by cwah View Post
      I tried to claim via "www.tax.service.gov.uk/coronavirus-job-retention-scheme "and it says

Are they trying their best to give nothing to company directors?
      Hmmm, I think the cutoff date has been extended to 31 October with this round. Certainly, there was a cut-off date for new entrants in earlier rounds, but I think it has been extended. This suggests so too:

Furlough Scheme Extended and Further Economic Support announced - GOV.UK

A glitch?

Edit: just saw your earlier post. Perhaps you have never claimed and tried to backdate your claim to September? That probably won't work... you should be good from 1 November onwards, though.
      Last edited by jamesbrown; 2 November 2020, 16:14.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        Hmmm, I think the cutoff date has been extended to 31 October with this round. Certainly, there was a cut-off date for new entrants in earlier rounds, but I think it has been extended. This suggests so too:

Furlough Scheme Extended and Further Economic Support announced - GOV.UK

A glitch?

Edit: just saw your earlier post. Perhaps you have never claimed and tried to backdate your claim to September? That probably won't work... you should be good from 1 November onwards, though.
        Thanks. But how do I claim from 1 Nov onwards? I just get refused for anything

Comment

I was on the bench from May to Sept, however still took a salary in those months so guessing I am not eligible for CRJS?

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
            I was on the bench from May to Sept, however still took a salary in those months so guessing I am not eligible for CRJS?

qh
            Eligible only *if* you take a salary. Ergo, not eligible if you don't take a salary.

Actually it's the company that is eligible, or not.

Calculated on the salary amount you took (and declared via RTI) up to Feb '20.

It's the company that receives the grant, if it continues to employ (and pay) you.

The rules have evolved with each extension of the scheme. There have been cut-off dates for retrospective claims. There was a requirement of being previously furloughed for at least 3 weeks period pre-July - I'm unsure if that rule still stands.

Comment

Before flexible furlough you had to un-furlough and re-furlough if you started a bit of work, observing the required minimum periods for a claim. It sounds like the OP has done all of this so should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                Before flexible furlough you had to un-furlough and re-furlough if you started a bit of work, observing the required minimum periods for a claim. It sounds like the OP has done all of this so should be fine.
                What is unclear however is how to apply flexible furlough going forward.

How the heck does a company director taking a fixed salary account for "usual" and "worked" hours? The CJRS portal requires both these numbers for a flexible furlough application.

Is it still possible, post-July, to un-furlough for a set number of days and re-furlough as before?

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                  What is unclear however is how to apply flexible furlough going forward.

How the heck does a company director taking a fixed salary account for "usual" and "worked" hours? The CJRS portal requires both these numbers for a flexible furlough application.

Is it still possible, post-July, to un-furlough for a set number of days and re-furlough as before?
                  I'm a bit late to this thread, but here goes. Those are good questions, and the kind of thing I would look to my accountant to advise on. There seems to be a general lack of clear guidance from the authorities when it comes to ltd company contractors / PSCs, which is rather frustrating. Makes me think there's a lot of potential for problems over 'interpretation', so whether there will be a reckoning later on when Gov/HMRC decide to try and claw money back to fill the coffers, or whether they really have just accepted and written off the fact that there's going to be incidental claims on an unsound basis, I don't know. And if they did do some kind of audit and found cases that shouldn't have received CJRS, who knows what the consequences would be (would maybe depend on how plausible or otherwise the claim was in the first place).

Anyway, I'm in a similar situation (had some time off / was on the bench for a while anyway, but still getting director's wage and doing minimal admin) but one thing that gave me pause for thought was this article: Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme: can directors furlough themselves? | Insights | Bishop Fleming

Note the final section on case law, including the quote, “Unfortunately, it is not an automatic assumption that you are an employee of your own limited company” - notably where the director is the sole shareholder and sole employee. Has anyone looked into that aspect with regard to furlough / CJRS? I also note that it says "Is there a genuine contract of employment between the director and the limited company?" - I know several contractors who set up purely to work via an agency and have a written contract with that agency, but I'm not sure all have a written contract between themselves and their company, being sole contractors who just set up a 'personal service company' as a prerequisite to deal with their clients. Anyone here in that position? Who knows whether this level of detail will ever be looked at in the context of the job retention scheme, but nonetheless it's interesting to note that the rules could potentially be even gnarlier than they may first seem.

** UPDATE ** (and apologies if I was again late to the party in realising this...)
                  I now see that the CJRS eligibility wording on GOV.UK specifically says, "As office holders, salaried Company directors are eligible to be furloughed and receive support through this scheme", so as long as you're salaried, I don't think that 'employee or not' conundrum is a worry after all.
                  Last edited by Sintra; 17 December 2020, 11:59.

Comment

Apparently you can also "work elsewhere while furloughed"

So what is to stop you keeping you limited company open, keep paying your 80% salary which is claimed back from Govt, then "working elsewhere" for your new employer which is your new brolly contract, and double dipping?

Comment

Originally posted by Royston1664 View Post
                      Apparently you can also "work elsewhere while furloughed"

So what is to stop you keeping you limited company open, keep paying your 80% salary which is claimed back from Govt, then "working elsewhere" for your new employer which is your new brolly contract, and double dipping?
                      Some morals, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                      X