• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giant Umbrella furlough scheme for present Covid-19 situation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UmbrellaellaGuru View Post
    Hello!

Just to let you know all Umbrella companies would have to fund the Apprenticeship levy - as this amount is based on the annual turnover - YES furlough counts as turnover!

They would also have to fund Employers NI.

Bear in mind FURLOUGH is a VOLUNTEER scheme no employer is obligated!

I work with many umbrella companies and none of them are doing it ( I work as a consultant for umbrellas)

It is posts like this that are causing unnecessary hardship for staff of these companies. As a contractor (who I do use an umbrella myself) I understand these things happen we all know we are going through umbrella companies to manage payroll and for IR35.

If you want to petition petition the government for not taking care of you not these companies.
    Is it drunk night ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
      Is it drunk night ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
      Is it sarcastic morning?

I am pointing out the reasons why companies aren't doing this and providing information - whereby you are providing sarcastic comments with no content or relevant information?

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        So how are Giant supposed to fund:

employer’s National Insurance (13.8%),
        employer’s pension contributions (4% of basic pay)
        and the apprenticeship levy (0.5%)

given the way their business model works.
        Exactly - where do they get the money from?
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by UmbrellaellaGuru View Post
          Is it sarcastic morning?

I am pointing out the reasons why companies aren't doing this and providing information - whereby you are providing sarcastic comments with no content or relevant information?
          Because if you had read the thread you would have seen that I had already made your point and I don't claim to be a guru on anything.

You are posting on a forum where some of the posters know more about the workings of the umbrella industry than a lot of workers within it (why do you think those umbrella firms pay for "Gurus").

The simple fact is that in the early days a few umbrella firms (Orca) did furlough people but it was hard enough to do it when it was a manual process for which the umbrella firm couldn't charge a fee and became impossible when the umbrella company was expected to pay / contribute towards the NI side of things.
          Last edited by eek; 6 January 2021, 09:44.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Beiberbuffet View Post
            Giant group solutions limited has decided for now not to pay the 80% furlough for the second lockdown for contractors using the umbrella solution.

They are presently expected if operating the scheme to fund employer’s National Insurance (13.8%), employer’s pension contributions (4% of basic pay) and the apprenticeship levy (0.5%) on any furlough payments made.

Are other giant contractors interested in petitioning giant group limited in a professional manner over this decision?

Please contact me ASAP if this is the case!

C
            I was with Contractor Umbrella and I didn't receive any furlough money whatsoever even though I was eligible. So if Giant got you something during the first lockdown despite the cost & inconvenience to themselves, then that's not bad.

Comment

Working...
            X