• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apparently there is a public sector strike going on...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    some of the schools did.

Teachers off.

Some Union woman on the radio yesterday complaining that teaching assistant only get £10k a year. She had been to the Maggie Thatcher school of elocution, was really weird.

Maggie Fatchah
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
      ******* unions.
      If you don't like your job, then **** off and let someone else who wants it take it.
      oh **** off yourself
      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        You think TA's only work the same hours kids are in school? ROFL!!!
        yes, many of the ones I know do. There seem to be jobs with the set hours. Top two with hours from a search.

Teaching Assistant

https://emea3.recruitmentplatform.co...i&sType=Indeed

seem to be plenty of them about.

Teaching Assistant Jobs, vacancies | Indeed.co.uk
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

******* unions.
          If you don't like your job, then **** off and let someone else who wants it take it.
          It's more likely that they do like their jobs but see an opportunity to use their collective muscle to improve their position in terms of pay and/or conditions.

Hope that helps clear up any misunderstanding.

Comment

What I want to know is why do the public sector only strike 1 day at a time.

Is it because they are frightened that a longer term strike would reveal they perform no useful tasks so could be just got rid off..
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
              yeah lets just pay teachers and firemen minimum wage im sure some immigrants will take up the slack.
              If they want more money they can just quit and find a higher paying job. By going on strike, with the legal protection they're offered, they're risking the lives of people like you and I for money.

Firefighters make GOOD money for relatively unskilled workers, and there are hundreds of applicants for every vacancy.

They disgust me.

Comment

If they want more money they can just quit and find a higher paying job. By going on strike, with the legal protection they're offered, they're risking the lives of people like you and I for money.

Firefighters make GOOD money for relatively unskilled workers, and there are hundreds of applicants for every vacancy.

They disgust me.
                Bankers disgust me. Lots of people disgust lots of other people. It's the rich fabric of life.

But they don't have to quit their job. They can go on strike. It's simple economics.

Comment

that's the key thing
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

They disgust me.
                    Plus most have a second job and retire very young on a good pension. That said, I don't think I'd fancy running into a burning building and I certainly wouldn't be bringing the matter up while they were dragging me out.
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      What I want to know is why do the public sector only strike 1 day at a time.

Is it because they are frightened that a longer term strike would reveal they perform no useful tasks so could be just got rid off..
                      I don't think they have enough support in the membership for longer term strikes.

An all out indefinite strike by the whole public sector may reveal that they do perform some useful tasks.

Comment

Working...
                      X