• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

jury service

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jury service

Sorry if this is similar to a previous thread started by Gym Beast.

I was off work for 10 weeks and then s0ds law when I finally got a contract the same week I also got a jury call up. As I was totally skint I wrote back and asked for a deferment which I was granted. However the company cancelled the work after only 10 weeks (no fault of my own I hasten to add) and then I was off work for another 3 months trying to get a contract. And guess what just when I get a 3 month contract I get the jury call up in the 10th week of my contract.
    I don't have insurance and losing the at least 2 weeks work will severely financially impact me. It will also severely impair my chances of getting another contract and/or extension. Having been out of work for so long in the last year I have no cash reserves and am very stressed.

Has anyone here had anything similar and got another jury service deferral?

Before anyone says it's my duty to serve, in principle I have no problem whatsoever doing jury service but at the moment I'm trying to pay off bills from being out of work for so long and need to look after my family before doing my duty.
    thanks in advance for any help.

Ask for another deferral.

And get some insurance. I think that would have been high on my list of things to do after the first time, to be honest.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

And get some insurance. I think that would have been high on my list of things to do after the first time, to be honest.
      PCG+ provides cover along with a host of other goodies, to paraphrase malvino, its a no brainer

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
        PCG+ provides cover along with a host of other goodies, to paraphrase malvino, its a no brainer
        Will it insure when you've had a deferral already? I thought insurance was for a risk / uncertain event.
        The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

I think that would have been high on my list of things to do after the first time, to be honest.
          Yeah, I really don't get how people can operate without this stuff. PCG+ was one of the first things I got before starting contract as it gives huge peace of mind for £250.

Comment

This is most annoying, you should be able to register as available for service for certain dates.
            I would be quite happy to break up some bench time and remove compulsion during a contract.

New economy means loads in this boat who would love to be able to control this better and they would get as many as they needed, less bailing etc.

win-win ?

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
              This is most annoying, you should be able to register as available for service for certain dates.
              I would be quite happy to break up some bench time and remove compulsion during a contract.

New economy means loads in this boat who would love to be able to control this better and they would get as many as they needed, less bailing etc.

win-win ?
              Definitely a win for the contractors who pick up the juicy failed IT project to implement this.
              The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Get a criminal record... sorted
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Does the defendant still get to reject anyone on the jury they don't like the look of? Or is that an urban myth?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    Get a criminal record... sorted
                    I think you've actually got to have received a prison sentence to be automatically excluded - so OP, you'll need to do something serious. I'd suggest bank robbery, the advantage being that if you don't get caught then you're still up.

Comment

Working...
                    X