• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recruitment agencies impersonating in-house recruiters

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, ok, I was pissed when they rang (in between contracts) and my blood boiled when they stiffed me. So my lookout.

Or... is this a whole new crime? Defraudation of someone with temporarily diminished responsibility?

Comment

Originally posted by tinopener View Post
      Ok, ok, I was pissed when they rang (in between contracts) and my blood boiled when they stiffed me. So my lookout.

Or... is this a whole new crime? Defraudation of someone with temporarily diminished responsibility?
      If you are so miffed off about it why not some digging to find out and them come and tell us. You have seen the sticky thread on this type of practice haven't you?

Try dropping the word crime and be a bit more objective though.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi chaps, long time lurker here so sorry about the heavy first post

I was duped into giving references up front by in-house recruiter for an international bank who I now realise was an agency phishing.

I'm normally really careful about these tricks, and this was the first time in years I've been caught out. This also makes me suspect it was a concerted effort by a particular agency to catch me out. We all know the ones that would try this.

Anyway, in the first instance, be wary of these calls coming from withheld numbers, and insist you get their details instead so you can call them back.

For anyone who does get caught out, I personally see this as getting sensitive information by deception i.e. fraud, so I reported it to the Police at actionfraud.police.uk. If you do the same, make sure you report *everything* you can, especially the time of the phone call and who your phone provider is. The police are unlikely to act on a single act of phishing, but if they get a few of the same pattern then they might trace the phone calls.

If the same thing has indeed happened to anyone recently, please feel free to PM me.
        It's a game. Sometimes you're the pigeon, sometimes you're the statue. This time you've been pwned, next time be more careful about the information you hand over. Suck it up and move on

Comment

Originally posted by MojoDog View Post
          It's a game. Sometimes you're the pigeon, sometimes you're the statue. This time you've been pwned, next time be more careful about the information you hand over. Suck it up and move on
          Thx. I have indeed moved on and rebuilt my life after this sordid incident.

I am wiser. I am stronger. My eyes cocked like lasers ready to pierce the dark kaleidoscope of deceit that lay afore us all.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            Ok, how about this one ....

STEP TWO: Assess the harm caused by the offending:
            Factors indicating a more than usually serious degree of harm

Multiple victims - Yes
            Victim is particularly vulnerable - No
            High value (including sentimental value) of property to the victim, or substantial consequential loss - Interesting, probably not, but could point out loss of reputation due to pimps chasing referees.
            Loss? By giving the name of the last two agents you worked with in the worst case what harm has been caused. You can't even answer the questions objectively.

This thread needs locking. It's utter garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Loss? By giving the name of the last two agents you worked with in the worst case what harm has been caused. You can't even answer the questions objectively.

This thread needs locking. It's utter garbage.
              Hmm, you seem to be unusually on the side of the agents. Can you confirm that you're not an agent infiltrator?

This could be a case of forum defraudation that the mods will surely have to deal with.

Comment

Hmm, you seem to be unusually on the side of the agents. Can you confirm that you're not an agent infiltrator?

This could be a case of forum defraudation that the mods will surely have to deal with.
                I try to be on the side of common sense and objectiveness. Something this thread does not have much off.

Reading back I haven't really defended agents, just had a go at a bunch of crying girls that can't even tell me what law they think said agent has broken. How can we take any of this seriously until someone comes back with something we can actually discuss? When we have a case or some sort of solid grounding THEN we can have a go at agents.

Comment

Can you confirm that you're not an agent infiltrator?
                  I've always had my suspicions.

NLUK - Fifth Columnist.

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Debatable and difficult to prove if an agent claims to be 'from' a client rather than 'representing'.

Can imagine the call.

Police: Hello this is the police. We've had complaints of you getting information by pretending to be from XYZ.

Agency: No they must have misheard. I said representing XYZ.

Police: OK sorry for wasting your time. Bye.

Agree.

Unless you have evidence e.g. a recording you took copious notes from and the recording to aid your memory or it was on loud speaker and your friend heard, then it's your word against the agents.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Instead of locking this thread, I'm throwing it to the wolves in General and out of the pro forum. Have fun.

Comment

Working...
                      X