Why does evolution matter? Why does evolution matter?
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 71

More fingers than teeth

xoggoth - scorchio!

Default Why does evolution matter?

Watching a Channel 4 thing about extremist schools last night, Muslim, Jewish and Christian, and it was big deal that some were teaching creationism.

There are some things they should certainly not be teaching but why does a belief in creationism matter? Apart from the tiny few who look for jobs at natural history museums, it has no relevance to life whatever. It may be rubbish but it is no more harmful than, say, belief in ghosts or faith healing.

Seems to me that some people treat atheism or science as religion, requiring people to believe in them even when it does not really matter.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

I Am Legend

BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?

Why does anything matter? Do I matter? Do you matter?

I live on CUK

Old Greg is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by xoggoth View Post
    Watching a Channel 4 thing about extremist schools last night, Muslim, Jewish and Christian, and it was big deal that some were teaching creationism.

There are some things they should certainly not be teaching but why does a belief in creationism matter? Apart from the tiny few who look for jobs at natural history museums, it has no relevance to life whatever. It may be rubbish but it is no more harmful than, say, belief in ghosts or faith healing.

Seems to me that some people treat atheism or science as religion, requiring people to believe in them even when it does not really matter.
    Would it be OK to teach intelligent falling as science? There is no gravity but God pushes things to the Earth?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bean
    I admit that I'm a lazy lying cretin, but so what?
    25 June 2018

I live on CUK

Is it OK to teach as history that Native Americans are lost tribes of Israel?
    25 June 2018

I Am Legend

BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?

Someone tried to convince me they had read an intelligent comment by OG on CUK once. Turned out to be as true as Adam and Eve.

I live on CUK

Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Someone tried to convince me they had read an intelligent comment by OG on CUK once. Turned out to be as true as Adam and Eve.
    Was that when I proposed suity and MF as evidence of Survival of the Fattest?
    25 June 2018

Banned

SpontaneousOrder 's job has never been outsourced

Why is it important to you to assert that it doesn't matter? It sounds as though you have some kind of preference for truth over falsehood?

I live on CUK

Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Why does anything matter? Do I matter? Do you matter?
    You don't matter.

HTH
    25 June 2018

My post count is Majestic

NickFitz has reached the peak. Play again?

Apart from the tiny few who look for jobs at natural history museums, it has no relevance to life whatever.
    Two words: antibiotic resistance.

(There are quite a few other relevant words, but those two are enough to be going on with.)

Party Animal

Zippy has more data than eek

The theory of evolution has an impact on every day life. Look at the increasing resistance of bacteria to currently available antibiotics. Now, their development may have been guided by a supreme being (or something else), but the most likely explanation is that they evolved (I base this on stuff done in labs. By microbiologists You can see the bacteria changing)).
    I don't see that the theory of evolution (correct application of the scientific method will never allow it to be the fact of evolution, btw) is in any way analogous to faith healers. One is a tried and tested method, the use of which has resulted in many useful and beneficial discoveries, and the other is populated by predatory, cynical individuals who exploit the sick and the weak. Sometimes the outcome is the same, but that doesn't make the methods equal.

Edit: Oh bugger - NF beat me to it.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012