• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Stopping Nuisance Calls

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kess View Post
    I've installed a blocker on my mobile to block known dodgy callers but have hesitated to block unknown numbers because a lot of agents seem to withhold their numbers. Why?

Now when the phone rings and it says "Unknown" I hesitate to answer because it could either be an agent offering me my next role or a PPI / accident claim scammer.
    Because once they know where you're interviewing and who your two references are they don't want you calling to bother them about the imaginary gig they've just been telling you about.
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

1) Unplug the landline
      2) See 1)
      3) (assuming you answer unknown nos on the mobile) As soon as you hear "Good afternoon Madam, How are you today?" hang up,
      4) Buy a box that blocks nuisance calls
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

There is only one good solution: talk with them ultil they are fed up with you more then you are with them.

Whenever some telemarketer calls, engage in a conversation. Talk with him. Ask him questions, especially difficult ones. Make him gather data. Ask him to repeat everything twice. When the call is about to be finished, ask him to call again.
        Also, ask for the personal data of the telemarketer, his name and age. In a friendly way of course ("Oh, you are 27? I have a cousin who is 27, that reminds me of what my aunt was saying about when she was in Spain and it started raining..." etc.).
        Try to make friends with them. Thank them for calling, since they are the only people calling you nowadays. Tell them about your personal problems and ask them for advice.

Bonus points when your talk really has something to do with the product they are trying to sell. Someone offers you a health insurance? Make a sigh how precius yet undervalued human life is, then ask if the insurance covers a broken heart. Ask the consultant if he was ever really in love.

If you are lucky to be being called by a woman, include some sexist remarks.

The most important thing is to ask them to call again. Again, again and again. My record was about 10 calls from a single consultant, then his boss (a nice resolute lady BTW) and it lasted for about 3 weeks. She was very upset in the end, not sure why.

With that attitude you will end up on every blacklist any telemarketing company has. They will display a warning on a wall in their office not to call you anymore. They will install an alarm bell that rings anytime some newbie tries to dial your number.

You must know that there are not that many telemarketing companies. Often some selling company orders a campaign in a telemarketing company to call as much people as possible to sell their products. If you are blacklisted by one company on one campaign, you will not be included in any future campaign.

If you can not fight the enemy, then at least troll them.

Comment

Originally posted by Oh Come On Not Again View Post
          There is only one good solution: talk with them ultil they are fed up with you more then you are with them.

Whenever some telemarketer calls, engage in a conversation. Talk with him. Ask him questions, especially difficult ones. Make him gather data. Ask him to repeat everything twice. When the call is about to be finished, ask him to call again.
          Also, ask for the personal data of the telemarketer, his name and age. In a friendly way of course ("Oh, you are 27? I have a cousin who is 27, that reminds me of what my aunt was saying about when she was in Spain and it started raining..." etc.).
          Try to make friends with them. Thank them for calling, since they are the only people calling you nowadays. Tell them about your personal problems and ask them for advice.

Bonus points when your talk really has something to do with the product they are trying to sell. Someone offers you a health insurance? Make a sigh how precius yet undervalued human life is, then ask if the insurance covers a broken heart. Ask the consultant if he was ever really in love.

The most important thing is to ask them to call again. Again, again and again. My record was about 10 calls from a single consultant, then his boss (a nice resolute lady BTW) and it lasted for about 3 weeks. She was very upset in the end, not sure why.

With that attitude you will end up on every blacklist any telemarketing company has. They will display a warning on a wall in their office not to call you anymore. They will install an alarm bell that rings anytime some newbie tries to dial your number.

You must know that there are not that many telemarketing companies. Often some selling company orders a campaign in a telemarketing company to call as much people as possible to sell their products. If you are blacklisted by one company on one campaign, you will not be included in any future campaign.

Crikey - can I have the potted wersion of that please?

I think the OP was statingvthat it wasn't so much the content of the. calls but no the the mi binnus

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            You what? That looks like line noise.
            Latin line noise.

Comment

Now when the phone rings and it says "Unknown" I hesitate to answer
              There is a difference between unknown and withheld. Legit callers may select the mobile option to withhold a number but few, if any, unknowns are legit.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

OP, if you PM me your ex girlfriends number, I will call her and see if I can help.

Comment

You stalking other CUKers ladies again DP?
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Dispatches - Channel 4

Hope this helps.

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by Oh Come On Not Again View Post

This sounds like a productive use of benchtime.

I sacked the landline and I don't want another.
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X