• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tower of London poppies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    Oh Poppies!

The Sky News auto-subtitles said there would be one puppy for each fallen soldier. I thought at the time that could get a bit messy.
    In memory of the fallen of World War I

Sponsored by Andrex™

Comment

Gronda Gronda

Comment

Beer
        is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Arrived and it looks great, my Daughter took it in to School today and everyone had a look. When I get in the new house I need to find some weathered wood to act as a plaque to mount it on.

A very clever and respectful tribute.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Arrived and it looks great, my Daughter took it in to School today and everyone had a look. When I get in the new house I need to find some weathered wood to act as a plaque to mount it on.

A very clever and respectful tribute.
            Excellent. Mine's not here yet. Not quite sure what to do with it when it does come. I had planned to just shove it in the garden, but apparently sub-zero temperatures can crack them. Let me know how mounting it goes.

Did you get up to see them in situ? Really glad I went - well worth a visit.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Excellent. Mine's not here yet. Not quite sure what to do with it when it does come. I had planned to just shove it in the garden, but apparently sub-zero temperatures can crack them. Let me know how mounting it goes.

Did you get up to see them in situ? Really glad I went - well worth a visit.
              I'm going to find a piece of weathered wood and mount it on that and hang it somewhere in the house.
              I thought about a nice machined back but I think something that looks like it had been in the mud for years would be more appropriate. Varnish / oil the steel rod and put a slight bend in it.

Something like this:

Free Texture - plank, weathered, wood

or this

Old Weathered Wood Plank Stock Photo 54633793 : Shutterstock

It comes via Yodel with a nice booklet & certificate.

unfortunately no but the pictures and the fly by video were impressive.

Comment

I'm going to find a piece of weathered wood and mount it on that and hang it somewhere in the house.
                I thought about a nice machined back but I think something that looks like it had been in the mud for years would be more appropriate. Varnish / oil the steel rod and put a slight bend in it.

Something like this:

Free Texture - plank, weathered, wood

or this

Old Weathered Wood Plank Stock Photo 54633793 : Shutterstock

It comes via Yodel with a nice booklet & certificate.

unfortunately no but the pictures and the fly by video were impressive.
                Oh dear.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  Oh dear.
                  Yes it is a worry, you do get an email with a tracking number.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for buying a poppy from Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red, an installation by artists Paul Cummins and Tom Piper. The installation has now finished, so your poppy is being picked and will soon be on its way to be cleaned, packaged and delivered to you as planned - in fact some poppies have already been delivered.

Each ceramic poppy is one of the 888,246 that have been hand-made and planted in the Tower of London's moat during the past three months. Each poppy will vary by texture, colour and finish. This variation is an intrinsic part of the installation.

Order details
                  Order number: XXXXXXX

Orders with multiple poppies: As they are packaged individually, please note that if you ordered more than one poppy you will receive an individual tracking number for each poppy on the order.

Delivery details
                  We will endeavour to deliver your poppy as soon as possible, and some poppies have already been delivered. However please be aware you may not receive your poppy before Christmas, particularly if your poppy is being delivered outside the UK. On receiving your order, please remember your poppy is ceramic and may not withstand a hard frost.

You can check the status of your order by entering your email address and order number on our view order status page.

Moving home?
                  If you move home and haven't yet received your poppy, please email [email protected] to update your delivery address as soon as possible.
                  More information
                  If you have any questions about your poppy order, please read our frequently asked questions

Thank you again for buying a poppy and supporting our service charity partners - the Confederation of Service Charities, Combat Stress, Coming Home, Help for Heroes, the Royal British Legion and SSAFA.

Comment

I received my tracking number today - first thought was "it's yodel - if it does turn up, it'll be broken"

Comment

Ah, this will be related to the Fed Ex I calls I keep missing. :-)

Edit : Or may be not as seems to be a Yodel monopoly.
                      Last edited by Scrag Meister; 27 November 2014, 11:47.
                      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                      X