• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wot, no Dr Who thread?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think since Tennant it has increasingly become more infantile and comic book which has ruined it.

I don't remember it being a children's show when I was a child but now it is very much at the tempo of children's TV. I suppose they probably make more money out of that in the long run with global TV rights and specifically merchandise sales.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
      I think since Tennant it has increasingly become more infantile and comic book which has ruined it.

I don't remember it being a children's show when I was a child but now it is very much at the tempo of children's TV. I suppose they probably make more money out of that in the long run with global TV rights and specifically merchandise sales.
      No, it's not a children's show.

Children would not have understood any of the dialogue of the first half an hour, and only sporadic bits thereafter.

Riddles and psycho-babble.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Funny how the lesbian aspect completely overshadows the sex outside of species aspect. I would have thought on any "perverted scale", the latter would score higher than the former.
        Well that just makes it even harder to explain to a young child.
        They have a record of promoting homosexuality in the re-boot. This time it dragged on much longer than it has before, and they kept labouring on it. I just don't understand what place it has in Dr Who. Tedious and unfair on kids. Perhaps it needs to move post watershed.

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        Why should the lesbianism be significant? Would you have bothered mentioning it if they were straight?
        See above.
        Last edited by ZARDOZ; 25 August 2014, 20:40.

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
          Well that just makes it even harder to explain to a young child.
          They have a record of promoting homosexuality in the re-boot. This time it dragged on much longer than it has before, and they kept labouring on it. I just don't understand what place it has in Dr Who. Tedious and unfair on kids. Perhaps it needs to move post watershed.

See above.
          It was a kid's show when it began and for years after, I remember watching the first episode with William Hartnell (yes, he was hiding behind my sofa terrified too).

The PC Beeb has taken it mainstream and sold out. It is not now a kids show and should have its name changed to inDoctrination Who.

Comment

Why should the lesbianism be significant? Would you have bothered mentioning it if they were straight?
            well them obviously getting excited because the dinosaur was female did have a carry on-esque quality.

I'm all for Dr Who being completely asexual as it was in my youth, I thought it was one of its strengths.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              I'm all for Dr Who being completely asexual as it was in my youth, I thought it was one of its strengths.
              The whole reason of having a female companion is to provide some 'chemistry' between the Doctor & assistant - even if the Doctor was a bumbling buffoon there was always some bonkable bit to counter balance & show perhaps that even geeks can attract wimmin - so it could never be described as asexual- would it work as well (at all?)if the assistant was male?
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Moffat is indeed an awful writer. That's why he's won an Emmy, several Baftas, a handful of Hugos... Just his luck that he's had good actors to save his execrable scripts.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  The whole reason of having a female companion is to provide some 'chemistry' between the Doctor & assistant - even if the Doctor was a bumbling buffoon there was always some bonkable bit to counter balance & show perhaps that even geeks can attract wimmin - so it could never be described as asexual- would it work as well (at all?)if the assistant was male?
                  Surely that comes under interspecies bonking too?

Comment

Surely that comes under interspecies bonking too?
                    I'd go along with a female Doctor Who & female assistant to make things interesting, but personally think inter species stuff is a tad too far - but no doubt the BBC had zoophilia on it inclusivity target tick box
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                      The whole point of the assistant was some totty for the Dad watching to perve over.

The doctor was like a grandad / non Paedo uncle. The sexuality wasn't there.

Did Hartnell, Troughton or Pertwee ever treat their assistants in anything other than a paternal way?

the obsession of sex with everything is one most writers seem to have.

Interesting many of the great fiction writers of the last century never even let their characters take their clothes off.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X