• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dave Must Be Spitting Feathers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turns out UKIP already have a Parliamentary candidate in that constituency. He's refusing to step down for Carswell, adding that Carswell can "get in the queue and hand out leaflets with the rest of us"

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/...wn-for-douglas

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Turns out UKIP already have a Parliamentary candidate in that constituency. He's refusing to step down for Carswell, adding that Carswell can "get in the queue and hand out leaflets with the rest of us"

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/...wn-for-douglas
      Yep, it appears that the local party selected him without telling ukip as a whole about the selection.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Don't see why. The whole point of Parliamentary Democracy is that you elect your preferred representative, not the party they belong to. OK, Joe Public is way too uneducated to understand that
        I disagree totally. No matter how competent or honest an MP is, the public are sensible enough to realise that he is just one of 300+ in the government and it is the party and the leaders of it that will determine the direction of the government. There have been several Labour MPs I have had respect for but I would never be daft enough to vote Labour.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          I disagree totally. No matter how competent or honest an MP is, the public are sensible enough to realise that he is just one of 300+ in the government and it is the party and the leaders of it that will determine the direction of the government. There have been several Labour MPs I have had respect for but I would never be daft enough to vote Labour.

it seems to me that we are trying hard to come up with a system that will do the least damage.
          forget the lofty ideals.. this is a damage limitation exercise
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

But there are those (and my FIL is a classic example of this) who will vote for someone (in this case a Lib Dem) because he's a very nice man and works very hard for the local area.

I can't imagine that the party he represents have any policies that chime with a Daily Express reading, nineteenth hole raconteur like my FIL but every time he votes for the same guy.

Comment

I disagree totally. No matter how competent or honest an MP is, the public are sensible enough to realise that he is just one of 300+ in the government and it is the party and the leaders of it that will determine the direction of the government.
              It depends where you live.

For the past 3 elections I've lived in marginals.

However the sitting MP hasn't reflected the government it reflects the candidate who campaigns the hardest in the preceding years whether as a party member or councillor for the main opposition party who makes up the local council. This is due to the sitting MP not making themselves well-known locally and not bothering to campaign properly at election time.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
                But there are those (and my FIL is a classic example of this) who will vote for someone (in this case a Lib Dem) because he's a very nice man and works very hard for the local area.
                This is why Lib Dems MPs get (or should actually now say "got") themselves elected.

There are also some areas - I grew up in one - where it looks like the area is a safe seat with a massive majority for a party but it actually isn't.

The only reason the current party maintains their seat for decades is because the sitting MP and party members including the possible replacements, actually pull their finger out to make themselves well-known long before any general election happens.

It's actually annoying seeing your local MP and his/her possible replacement everywhere for years in the local paper and in leaflets through your door.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                X