• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Salmond "We can take Scotland in two weeks"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Not really a selling a point to the EU how much of the UK's x, y and z you make up.

They need to know how much of the EU's market of x, y and z you would make up.

You need to stop thinking in UK terms.
    There's a fair few predicted and potentials in there too.

Also 98.8% of the UK's predicted oil production could mean absolutely anything. 98.8% of not a lot is still not a lot.
    ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
      There's a fair few predicted and potentials in there too.

Also 98.8% of the UK's predicted oil production could mean absolutely anything. 98.8% of not a lot is still not a lot.
      Don't listen to the lies generated from Westminster. There are years left of oil production in the established oilfields and a new oilfield has been discovered west of Shetland. Also, we can't access the oil off the west coast due to the movements of the Trident submarines.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
        Jean-Claude Juncker is sympathetic to Scotland joining. Would they really discard 5 million or so EU citizens out and ask them to rejoin behind Albania, Iceland, Montenegro, Serbia, Turkey and Macedonia?
        Bit unfair on Albania, Iceland, Montenegro, Serbia, Turkey and Macedonia who are having to go through a long process to satisfy all the requirements of EU membership. The assumption is that Scotland will get the nod based on the UK's record, but unlike all the above countries, a future government of Scotland has absolutely no record at all and Salmond and co. have no experience of running an independent country.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Don't listen to the lies generated from Westminster. There are years left of oil production.
          When I left the industry myself a couple of year ago, the available reserves were not in question. It was extracting the stuff that was the problem. Exciting and problematic. Exciting because it required new technology which Aberdeen are at the forefront of developing / investing (mostly private companies). Actually that's why I was working there.

It's a problem because the 'hard to get' HPHT (high pressure high temperature) reserves (50+ years worth) will cost more to extract than the easy stuff we've already got. The good news about that is the field only needs to be popped once, with a big ass x-mas tree to control the heat / pressures involved.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            Bit unfair on Albania, Iceland, Montenegro, Serbia, Turkey and Macedonia who are having to go through a long process to satisfy all the requirements of EU membership. The assumption is that Scotland will get the nod based on the UK's record, but unlike all the above countries, a future government of Scotland has absolutely no record at all and Salmond and co. have no experience of running an independent country.
            Bit unfair on current EU citizens to be kicked out and asked to join a queue to get back in though?

Especially since Scotland has so many natural resources like the fishing grounds and green energy potential wind & wave power to meet the targets that the EU is trying to achieve.

Anyway, Call Me Dave & Nigel will be doing their best to take us out of the EU in 2017. Nigel will be coming to Scotland next week telling us how it's best if we are in a union while he is trying to take us out of a union.

Comment

Bit unfair on current EU citizens to be kicked out and asked to join a queue to get back in though?
              But it's entirely voluntary. Don't vote for independence; don't get kicked out of the EU. Keep the pound. Nobody is making the Scottish people do anything.

Especially since Scotland has so many natural resources like the fishing grounds and green energy potential wind & wave power to meet the targets that the EU is trying to achieve.
              I don't think the EU is that corrupt that it would overlook all its own rules just because a country had some oil and some wind. If green energy was the only criteria, Iceland would have been in years ago.

Anyway, Call Me Dave & Nigel will be doing their best to take us out of the EU in 2017. Nigel will be coming to Scotland next week telling us how it's best if we are in a union while he is trying to take us out of a union.
              UKIP almost make me wish I was Scottish.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                But it's entirely voluntary. Don't vote for independence; don't get kicked out of the EU. Keep the pound. Nobody is making the Scottish people do anything.

I don't think the EU is that corrupt that it would overlook all its own rules just because a country had some oil and some wind. If green energy was the only criteria, Iceland would have been in years ago.

UKIP almost make me wish I was Scottish.
                TBH while I think it's best if we are inside the EU, myself and quite a lot of Yes supporters would take the hit and queue up to get back in if it meant breaking ties with Westminster.

The same goes for a currency union. If Westminster won't allow us to share the currency then the pound will lose value in rUK as well.

Markets are already getting jittery Pound slides after latest Scottish independence poll | Business | theguardian.com

Comment

You can't get EU membership without a lender of last resort you cretins.

Comment

In the interests of fair play and consistency I presume the Scots would not object to Shetland and Orkney leaving Scotland

Shetland and Orkney 'should get vote on whether to leave Scotland' - Telegraph

Tavish Scott, Shetland's Liberal Democrat MSP, wrote to the First Minister in early 2013 to say his constituents would “not simply be ignored, bypassed or trodden on” in negotiations with the rest of the UK to create a separate Scotland.

Video: Shetland islands consider impact of Scottish independence - Telegraph

And of course they will take their Oil with them

Rumours of massive oil find follow Cameron

Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

TBH while I think it's best if we are inside the EU, myself and quite a lot of Yes supporters would take the hit and queue up to get back in if it meant breaking ties with Westminster.
                      TBH I think if Scotland does go independent, it will become/continue as an EU member.

The same goes for a currency union. If Westminster won't allow us to share the currency then the pound will lose value in rUK as well.

Markets are already getting jittery Pound slides after latest Scottish independence poll | Business | theguardian.com
                      Yes but having a currency union doesn't mean the pound won't lose value. There'll still be all the uncertainty created by an independent Scotland (though I don't get how anyone can claim it's independence whilst having a currency controlled by another state), and that'll be worse for both sides. The way to stop the uncertainty is not to vote for independence. Problem solved.

Comment

Working...
                      X