• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extremely boring washing machine question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    I'm often amazed how technology improves and we (for some reason) start lowering our expectation on lifetimes. Appliances really should last no less than 15 years.

We got a el-cheapo ex-display indesit for sub £200. 8 years later still going strong. With kids the machine is used daily. On weekends we use it twice each day.

Our previous hotpoint lasted 15 years before something burnt out inside - after we got the brushes changed. I could have soldered a solution I think but decided to get a new one. I sold the machine for £10 to a repairman so it's probably still running somewhere.

My parents had whirlpool washer and dryer which lasted for over 20 years! I seem to recall the only thing that broke was the belt on the dryer which was easily replaced.

I think it's also down to looking after the machine and keeping it clean, often a lot of these break down due to hard water build up.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
      I think it's also down to looking after the machine and keeping it clean, often a lot of these break down due to hard water build up.
      Calgon are no longer allowed to use their "Washing machines live longer with Calgon" jingle, as they were unable to prove it's true.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        But probably still less dull than all the Scotland threads

Our trusty washer-dryer is giving up the ghost after about 8 years and we need a new one. Looking online, they seem pretty much identical so how do you choose a good one? Is there any difference between a £700 one from LG, a £400 one from Hoover or a £250 Indesit/no-name special - are they all the same underneath anyway?

At least with fridges you can see visible differences but washer-dryers all seem to have similar capacities and other than a shiny touch-screen, what does spending an extra monkey get you? I don't mind spending more if it gets quality but does it?

Sorry for the boring thread. I'll post one about boobies next perhaps.
        I'll ask the missus when she gets back from the river with all that washing.

Comment

Have a Miele washing machine and dishwasher and have never (hope I'm not putting the mockers on it now ) had a single days problem with either - the dishwasher is 10 years old.
          Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
            We bought a bosch machine with 10 year warranty, does the triack and I like the fact you don't have to put washing liquid in it every time, you can just pre-fill in and off you go.
            Snap - Mrs K78 loves it...

Comment

Mrs Mag’s machine started to leak a couple of weeks ago after 10 years’ service

We replaced it with a bog standard Hotpoint, £230 inc delivery & scrapping the old machine

Having assessed the more expensive machines (with many more cycle options) we concluded that we only ever used the 40 deg standard wash cycle, so for us, spending the extra wasn’t worth it

New machine has a slightly higher load, faster spin speed & quieter than the old one

Be aware that the 4 year parts warranty requires you to use their service personnel with a £80 minimum call out

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie252 View Post
                Mrs Mag’s machine started to leak a couple of weeks ago after 10 years’ service

We replaced it with a bog standard Hotpoint, £230 inc delivery & scrapping the old machine

Having assessed the more expensive machines (with many more cycle options) we concluded that we only ever used the 40 deg standard wash cycle, so for us, spending the extra wasn’t worth it

New machine has a slightly higher load, faster spin speed & quieter than the old one

Be aware that the 4 year parts warranty requires you to use their service personnel with a £80 minimum call out
                Which is why both the previous and current machines are Samsung with 5 years part and labour. The last machine hadn't died after 8 years i just saw an offer I couldn't refuse and replaced it..
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  Calgon are no longer allowed to use their "Washing machines live longer with Calgon" jingle, as they were unable to prove it's true.
                  I found out somewhere online that they paid a fortune to WM companies to promote it.

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

we have an ancient Bosch (our backup machine) and a Beko which seems to be very reliable we have had it 3 years with no real faults.

we had a machine with a manufacturer that started with H, it was atrocious the drum was paper thin and a 5 p piece made a hole not covered by the warranty, the thing would hiccup and require unplugging (drag out from fitted unit) and they seemed to think that was acceptable.

used to have a hoover and despite 3 sets of brushes and 15 years service it was replaced because Mrs fancied a new one so she bought the piece of junk above.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I have a Bosch it's about 10 years old. I'm waiting patiently for it to breakdown but it will probably outlast the dishwasher.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X