• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extremely boring washing machine question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Hi all. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Other than miele, who seem to sell direct only, does it actually matter where you buy these things from? If there's a problem in the warranty period does the seller have any involvement or would you be dealing with the manufacturer direct? One model we're looking at is as cheap on John Lewis as anywhere else but others are significantly cheaper online with discount white good sellers.
    I can get 10% cashback on ao.com but I never heard of them before...

The only reason to use John Lewis is that you can often get a longer warranty on white goods.

Yes you still have to deal with the manufacturer but it's likely you will never have to deal with them as John Lewis are particular about the brands they stock.

I've used Appliances online. I was ordering 3 items where 2 had to be a particular colour and they were the only supplier who had them all in stock. They weren't significantly cheaper than anywhere else at the time but they could deliver 3 items in one delivery. The items were all delivered in good order and on the date stated. There as the complaints I've heard about Currys is that the items are often delivered with dents in them.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
      I have got all my white goods from John Lewis as if any goes wrong they are much better to deal with than most other companies.
      I'm sure I bought my former Miele from John Lewis, although that was over ten years ago.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Darn, the one I wanted is now not available at ao. JL have it at the same price for delivery "within 5 weeks"

I am not seeing JL offer any different warranty than other places - 2 years even on Miele I think. You can pay for a 5 year warranty but I haven't checked if that's any good or not yet.

So if a JL-bought product goes wrong, you contact JL and they sort it out for you? More like buying from Amazon?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I have bought 4 appliances from AO and their pricing and delivery were amazing.
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
            No they weren't amazing they were as expected from an online retailer who doesn't use Yodel or some other tulip random courier.

Customer service and delivery is so bad with retailers that getting a retailer who does what is expected of them feels amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
              Was going to ask for a link, on the grounds that trying a search on "AO" will probably return millions of results.

But the first Google result returned by "AO home" is Appliances Online

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Was going to ask for a link, on the grounds that trying a search on "AO" will probably return millions of results.

But the first Google result returned by "AO home" is Appliances Online
                If your washing machine breaks down it's your fault for choosing a tulip brand.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Couldn't agree more - That's why I'm buying a Miele in a week or two!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    And where oh great one are published reliability indexes? You can easily find the same company make two models, one which is amazing and one which is crap. Reviews typically are written within a few weeks/months, not 3 years after purchase... and you're unlikely to be able to find a model to buy which was on sale further back than the warranty period, which means it's virtually impossible to buy a model based on proven reliability.

It seems Bosch and Miele are the most respected brands but brand image and actual reliability aren't the same.

Even Mieles will break down sometimes
                    Last edited by d000hg; 11 September 2014, 09:50.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X