Camera suggestion Camera suggestion
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 18

TPAFKAk2p2

mudskipper is always on top

Default Camera suggestion

I'm off to do the Inca trail in a couple of weeks, so want to get a camera, mine having expired after an unfortunate incident with a mug of tea.

Mr ms has got a nice one, but it's a bit big and heavy.

I'll be trekking for four days, and I'm guessing there will be no opportunity to recharge batteries during that time. I don't want to arrive to find my camera's dead.

So priorities:

1) Long battery life (or standard aaa batteries that I can replace).
    2) Lightweight
    3) Don't want to spend a fortune as I rarely use a camera these days

Came across this which looks like it fits the bill. 500 pics on a battery, and spare battery less than a tenner.

Any thoughts? Anyone got one?

Also, any ideas how many pics fit on, say, a 32Gb memory card...?

Super poster

vwdan - scorchio!

Never been a fan of Sony gear - I'd stick to Canon for a point a shoot - I suspect you're after the Ixus range. The wife has a 4+ year old 100 quid special and the shots, especially daylight ones are still h superb.

A 32gb SD will take well over 5,000 photos

Super poster

vwdan - scorchio!

Mmm, May have to take that back - on pure specs it looks like you'd need a slightly more expensive Canon so maybe I'm out of date. Can't really look on my phone

TPAFKAk2p2

Quote Originally Posted by vwdan View Post
    Mmm, May have to take that back - on pure specs it looks like you'd need a slightly more expensive Canon so maybe I'm out of date. Can't really look on my phone
    The camera that dropped in my tea was an ixus - was a nice camera. (Was a few years ago).

More fingers than teeth

scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain

Go for something without a zoom lens. You'll take better pictures.
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

TPAFKAk2p2

Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    Go for something without a zoom lens. You'll take better pictures.
    I'm after lightweight and long battery. I think zoom lenses are moving into a different category (probably similar to Mr ms's camera which is too big and heavy to lug about for 4 days)

More fingers than teeth

scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain

Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    I'm after lightweight and long battery. I think zoom lenses are moving into a different category (probably similar to Mr ms's camera which is too big and heavy to lug about for 4 days)
    I really enjoy carrying my x100s about with me, amazing pictures, no zoom and no heavy by any means. But I think beyond the budget you're considering. I always carry two batteries for a week away.

What about Trusted Reviews - The Latest Technology News and Reviews, you can quickly filter out the good from the bad.
    Last edited by scooterscot; 11th September 2014 at 21:40.
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

Super poster

tractor 's job has never been outsourced

Default ...

x100 is good

But the best pics I've ever taken were with an Olympus point and shoot, Oly lenses are great and you can get some good medium zooms on them.

Number of shots you can get on a card is determined by the resolution you shoot at so there's no hard and fast answer.

Olympus 820 Uses 4 aa.

Plenty of other models though.
    Last edited by tractor; 11th September 2014 at 21:59.

Double Godlike!

Alias is NOT a disguised employee

Didn't you have this one?

TPAFKAk2p2

Quote Originally Posted by Alias View Post
    Didn't you have this one?
    That one was a pressie for Mr ms. I really want a stills camera rather than video. I've never in my life managed to shoot a video that was worth watching back.

Never did get my extra cashback though!