• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renewing your vehicle tax online

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want a new hobby? Tax disc collection might be up for grabs

This chap collects old tax discs

Jones has been gathering discs since retrieving one from his parents’ Austin 1100, and has amassed a collection of more than 207,000.

But after collecting at least one disc from every year tax discs have existed, and for almost every model of car driven in the UK, he confesses that his enthusiasm is waning slightly.

“I had realised it didn’t quite excite me as much as it did when I was younger and I haven’t as much time these days, so this seems like the time to draw a line in the sand,” he says. “I don’t think I can continue with something that is no longer moving forward.”
    Which of you lot have a Maybach?

There are still some elusive discs he would like to own – any reader with one for a Maybach or Pagani should get in touch. But as Jones adds: “The discs were always going to stop before I did – I’ve often thought I should wind it up, but then found a good one and regained my enthusiasm.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Tax discs are quite pretty. When I get my time machine working I may flog them to the moderately well off in the 12th century. Richer types will get old CDs, 1 gold piece each.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
        The dashboard for vehicle tax renewals reports the service cost 45.6m to run for the last year.

It died yesterday at 10,000 users and has not been back online since.

Amazon and Ebay eat it for performance.

Even online games support more concurrent users with less problems.
        And just how much do you think those systems cost, and how long do they take to get right? eBay was down only recently and every major MMO I can remember has had teething problems.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          And just how much do you think those systems cost, and how long do they take to get right? eBay was down only recently and every major MMO I can remember has had teething problems.
          All of us have been able to renew online for 5 years at least. Never has there been a problem. Until now. Nothing in the transactional model appears to have changed and functionally, it works the same as it always did.

Teething problems?

They borked it. No excuses.

Comment

The tax disc should have been replaced by "vignette" bought a petrol stations. It should be for all vehicles including foreigners, like wot the Swiss Austrians Czechs etc etc etc have
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              The tax disc should have been replaced by "vignette" bought a petrol stations. It should be for all vehicles including foreigners, like wot the Swiss Austrians Czechs etc etc etc have
              Dunno about the Austrians or Czechs but in Switzerland the vignette is just for motorway use. The Swiss vehicle tax is completely separate and tied to your number plates.
              • if you want to take your car off the road for winter you can send your plates back and get a tax refund. Ditto for just a month at any time of year
              • you can run more than one vehicle with the same set of plates - put them on your weekend car until Monday morning etc
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                Given that the public is their target I would have thought that yes, they should have assumed the worst.

There's also the "new toy on the desk" effect. Give a bunch of users a new app (or set of apps) and of course they are going to explore all the options on day 1. Where complex searches and the like are involved they'll be hammering the system to a far greater level than once it settles down. Don't underestimate the effect of "Hey Bob, look at this neat new search feature", as the same guy does it for the umpteenth time that day.

Hands up the CUKers who had a peek at the website once reports that it was struggling came in
                Given that the taxpayer pays for this, how can it possibly make sense for them to provision hardware at a level that can meet a load expected to occur precisely once, when the new service first launches? It's not as if they're running it on EC2 and can spin up a few dozen additional server instances as needed.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Given that the taxpayer pays for this, how can it possibly make sense for them to provision hardware at a level that can meet a load expected to occur precisely once, when the new service first launches? It's not as if they're running it on EC2 and can spin up a few dozen additional server instances as needed.
                  It is not a new service.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                    It is not a new service.
                    Then maybe the old one wasn't designed to cope with that level of demand either, but it was never given the chance to prove it?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The old service worked perfectly well, never had a problem with it regardless of how late it was left on either car. Never heard any complaints about it either.

Then the numptys in GDS decide it needs to be redesigned to match the rest of gov.uk and it dies on it's arse.
                      Last edited by DaveB; 2 October 2014, 18:57.
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X