• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What Climate change?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Only Way Is Keynsham View Post
    Ooh! It looks like a gert hockey stick...

And how do we know those were the actual temperatures going way back when?

I mean, it's not like there was anyone around to measure them.
    The figures are just made up. I mean - these people are scientists and experts, so you obviously can't trust them.

I genuinely don't have a clue.
    We are well aware of that.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Q: How does one go about reconstructing temperatures in the past?

A: Changes in Earth’s temperature for the last ~160 years are determined from instrumental data, such as thermometers on the ground or, for more recent times, satellites looking down from space. Beyond about 160 years ago, we must turn to other methods that indirectly record temperature (called “proxies”) for reconstructing past temperatures. For example, tree rings, calibrated to temperature over the instrumental era, provide one way of determining temperatures in the past, but few trees extend beyond the past few centuries or millennia. To develop a longer record, we used primarily marine and terrestrial fossils, biomolecules, or isotopes that were recovered from ocean and lake sediments and ice cores. All of these proxies have been independently calibrated to provide reliable estimates of temperature.

Q: Did you collect and measure the ocean and land temperature data from all 73 sites?

A: No. All of the datasets were previously generated and published in peer-reviewed scientific literature by other researchers over the past 15 years. Most of these datasets are freely available at several World Data Centers (see links below); those not archived as such were graciously made available to us by the original authors. We assembled all these published data into an easily used format, and in some cases updated the calibration of older data using modern state-of-the-art calibrations. We made all the data available for download free-of-charge from the Science web site (see link below). Our primary contribution was to compile these local temperature records into “stacks” that reflect larger-scale changes in regional and global temperatures. We used methods that carefully consider potential sources of uncertainty in the data, including uncertainty in proxy calibration and in dating of the samples (see step-by-step methods below).
      Response by Marcott et al. « RealClimate
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

We'll be glad of all the warming when we get a huge eruption and ensuing volcano winter.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Happy Birthday!

Here are the full results of 2 years rigourous and intensive investigation into that 'fiddled' data, in full:

All submissions — The International Temperature Data Review Project

Some might say an apology of some kind is due. I am not holding my breath.
          My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Renewables provide more than half UK electricity for first time - BBC News

Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Coal is renewable...

...if you wait long enough.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Coal is renewable...

...if you wait long enough.
                Not any more - The Carboniferous age started when plants first evolved the ability to make lignin, and ended when the first moulds evolved the ability to digest lignin. Unfortunately those moulds are still around, so dead wood no longer forms coal deposits.

But oil is renewable, forming in marine deposits, if you wait fifteen million years or so.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

What Climate change?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ming-1912.html
                  http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Is this the Mail hedging its bets - if the Tories don't end up winning, then the Mail can point out how Labour is responsible for climate change, but is doing nothing about it...
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X