• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Random dull video about nothing very much

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are lots of women in tech from India and other BRIC countries compared to Western ones.
    You are right:

Engineering Is a Man’s Field: Changing a Stereotype with a Lesson from India | Guest Blog, Scientific American Blog Network

Maybe this is one of those problems that enforces itself. Few females want to be engineers simply because there are few female engineers, ie they don't want to be sat in a class surrounded by a lot of randy young males with no other girls to talk to or make friends with.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

You only have to look at the increase in the number of female doctors, lawyers and accountants in the UK to see how a society's perceptions of what is an engaging career for different genders changes over the generations.

However this still doesn't stop my female friends' and family in those careers facing sexist comments over their job/ability in those jobs from some strangers who don't work in their field and this isn't age restricted.

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Maybe this is one of those problems that enforces itself. Few females want to be engineers simply because there are few female engineers, ie they don't want to be sat in a class surrounded by a lot of randy young males with no other girls to talk to or make friends with.
      The article you posted states something different - it states that women in India study engineering as it has good prospects. The same obviously isn't felt by women in the West.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

women in India study engineering as it has good prospects. The same obviously isn't felt by women in the West
        Certainly true that engineering is undervalued and has poor prospects in the UK, it has p*d me of over many years of doing complex stuff, like simulation of oil platforms and nuclear power stations, aircraft control systems and satellite imaging and have generally earned about half of what I could have earned in boring banking.

Not sure that explains the sex divide though, surely poor prospects would put blokes off at least as much?
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
          'male privilege' and other slogans I've been hearing from ThoughtWorks & martin Fowler and the gang recently.
          Interesting as I worked with Martin Fowler for a year. Any more on this?

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
            What is? Gamer gate? (not to do with this vid - but Martin Fowler etc have got in on that too).

Having watched the video series, Sarkeesian 'got what she deserved' - i.e. while I can't justify the psychos making threats, I don't feel sorry for her at all. Utter scumbag.
            Originally posted by cojak View Post
            As are you...
            Did SO really get a 7 day ban for that post?

Comment

I fail to see why he should be banned for not feeling sorry for her or mentioning that video, or calling her a scumbag. Far worse goes on in general than that.
              Last edited by Zero Liability; 1 November 2014, 22:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
                I fail to see why he should be banned for not feeling sorry for her or mentioning that video, or calling her a scumbag. Far worse goes on in general than that.
                She banned me for saying I was going to plant a bomb outside the house of my boilerman after he'd ripped me off!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Interesting as I worked with Martin Fowler for a year.
                  You were in Eastenders?

Comment

Women don't feel 'scared' to go study Sociology or Spanish. The lack of women in IT is only down to the fact that they don't give a f\ck about IT, or Mechanics, or anything too abstracted from their immediate surrounds.

And if you feel tempted to say, "Hey, boys are afraid to join cooking lessons", then explain why all the top chefs (barring Nigella Lawson) are male??

If Feminists were serious, they'd be setting up workshops putting 'right' the gender imbalances. Great, they must really be shaking up the status quo by now in the grease monkey trade. So the next time my girlfriend needs the oil changed, I'll just ask her to visit index, for their section on 'Female Mechanics', so she can keep the business among the sisterhood.

Comment

Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
                      She banned me for saying I was going to plant a bomb outside the house of my boilerman after he'd ripped me off!
                      To be fair, if you did end up doing that, it'd be a tad worse than just expressing lack of sympathy for a rather notoriously vile woman.

Comment

Working...
                      X