• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Random dull video about nothing very much

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering what a nasty piece of work the lady in the tweets is, I really don't see how it's got anything to do with misogyny.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      The flip flops don't objectify women.

Comments like the above do make me feel quite cross. Moving away from this man in particular (I think he's had more than enough grief), if a woman feels uncomfortable being surrounded by pictures of scantily clad ladies in her work environment, she should be able to voice that opinion without being labelled a feminist, a delicate little flower or a spoilsport. Although it would be nice if she wasn't put in that situation in the first place.
      Agree with the first point - everyone should be able to voice their opinion but not with the second - I used to work for a haulage firm and there were girly calendars everywhere - can't say I really took any notice. Also don't understand the fuss about the guy in the shirt - it's a hideous shirt from a fashion perspective but other than that what's the problem?
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
        Also don't understand the fuss about the guy in the shirt - it's a hideous shirt from a fashion perspective but other than that what's the problem?
        A bunch of irrational man haters seizing an opportunity to grind their axe as well as get some publicity?
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Agree with the first point - everyone should be able to voice their opinion but not with the second - I used to work for a haulage firm and there were girly calendars everywhere - can't say I really took any notice. Also don't understand the fuss about the guy in the shirt - it's a hideous shirt from a fashion perspective but other than that what's the problem?
          I refer you to the entire thread.

BTW if someone was filming your firm on international TV news would you be happy for the pictures to feature a couple of girly calendars in the background? What do you think it would say about your business?
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

There is a huge difference between girly calendars and Matt Taylor's shirt. It's a difference of degree, but nonetheless, the former crosses the line of acceptability in my opinion, and the latter doesn't.

One difference is that the girly calendars would be pixelated out.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
              A bunch of irrational man haters seizing an opportunity to grind their axe as well as get some publicity?
              Sounds about right

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                I refer you to the entire thread.

BTW if someone was filming your firm on international TV news would you be happy for the pictures to feature a couple of girly calendars in the background? What do you think it would say about your business?
                If I ran a haulage firm/car repair shop etc etc I am not sure that anyone would take a blind bit of notice tbh. What do you think it would say?

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

If I ran a haulage firm/car repair shop etc etc I am not sure that anyone would take a blind bit of notice tbh. What do you think it would say?
                  Haulage firm - one that has no female drivers

Car repair shop - one that doesn't take female customers seriously.

First may have implications if they have difficulty getting staff - I'm sure Hilary Devey wanted more female drivers at her firm, the second would have implications on the bottom line.

BTW the bus garage that I use to walk pass frequently had girlie posters in the locker room until about 2 years ago. The locker room could be seen from the street which is why I could see them. I was always amused that the women who worked there were the no nonsense type who took no tulip from the men.
                  Last edited by SueEllen; 18 November 2014, 10:52.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'm with Lisa on this one.

Having in a previous life, been married to a research scientist - the shirt was pretty typical for the guys like that. Super clever but still teenage geeks (not unlike a lot of you IT geeks).

I do accept that possibly it wasn't the best choice to wear on national/international TV but he shouldn't be given so much grief for it.
                    Bazza gets caught
                    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                      ... but he shouldn't be given so much grief for it.
                      I think we're all agreed on that.

In the scheme of things, it's trivial. AIUI, a few people commented on twitter, a very small minority got abusive, the press got hold of it and it got blown out of all proportion.

Comment

Working...
                      X