• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So...anybody ask for any of this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the CUK freeloading scum who are also fee-paying IPSE members who don't always visit their forums, there is a further response from the board of directors.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      For the CUK freeloading scum who are also fee-paying IPSE members who don't always visit their forums, there is a further response from the board of directors.
      It's a classic - post of the year

No nancing about from Mr Gilmour he tells it as he finds it - very refreshing.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
        Short version: the 'executive' is made up from, and voted in by, CC members themselves.

Long version:

The Consultative Committee (CC) comprises up to 30 members from the organisation.

Membership vote on roughly half (~15) of the CC each year (so there can't be a mass take-over in a single year). I.e. half the CC is 'safe' and the other half may re-stand for election. You can vote for up to N candidates, where N is the number of seats to be filled in that year. The N candidates receiving the most votes then join with other (30 - N) to form the new CC. CC membership lasts for two years.

The CC then elects a Chairman (Chair-person?) from amongst itself. Not all the CC members put themselves forward for this. Of those that do, iirc, they get to do a very brief pitch to the rest of the CC before the ballot is held. The results are published, so you get to see who voted for who. Chairmanship lasts for a single year.

The new Chairman declares how many people he/she need for the Board of Directors (the BoD). The CC then ballot amongst themselves for the BoD positions. BoD positions are also for a single year.

There are additional rules/procedures for various corner cases, like when someone drops out. I'm sure someone from IPSE will be happy to correct me on any of the above.

Best wishes to anyone from here who decides to stand.
        Except a lot of that is changing following on-going reviews of governance to address various necessary updates. So when the new processes are agreed, IPSE members will be informed.

Also the Executive is not the Board of Directors and are largely full time staff

But apart from that...

HTH
        Last edited by malvolio; 14 November 2014, 09:03.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post

I've just read his post, it's been very helpful with some decision making. My membership expires today and I'm not renewing it.
          ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post

It's certainly an interesting perspective, I'll give him that.

I do like the fact that he was asked not to post it because everyone obviously knew what would be said and the manner in which it would be said. But good on him for at least replying rather than the collective silence from the rest of the powers.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
              So how are the executive voted in? Or is it not a members organisation?
              Executives aren't voted in - they are appointed by the board, which is elected by the CC, which is elected by the members. The board then appoint the executives to run the business.

The CC are there to make sure that the organisation is run properly, and they are representative members, not members representatives. Ultimately, their power to "do" much isn't high - although they could vote to remove the board, IIRC.

But the governance structure is going to change soon, which could have a significant impact on the effectiveness of the CC.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                It's certainly an interesting perspective, I'll give him that.

I do like the fact that he was asked not to post it because everyone obviously knew what would be said and the manner in which it would be said. But good on him for at least replying rather than the collective silence from the rest of the powers.
                What sort of a person would ever think about posting a line like:

"I have been earnestly requested not to respond to this thread - because I speak my mind - and people like you hide behind phrases like 'talk down' etc. further - you have only criticism to offerand hide behind your indolence in assuming that your unassailable rectitude obliges others to succumb to your will."
                I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
                  What sort of a person would ever think about posting a line like:

"I have been earnestly requested not to respond to this thread - because I speak my mind - and people like you hide behind phrases like 'talk down' etc. further - you have only criticism to offerand hide behind your indolence in assuming that your unassailable rectitude obliges others to succumb to your will."
                  I don't even understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    I don't even understand it.
                    It means that anyone who admits to being a CUK member and posts on IPSE is just a CUK stooge who has been sent there as a spokesperson because the rest of the CUK members are freeloading scum who refuse to pay their fees but are happy to sponge off the hard work of others.

And because you are asking a question that the board don't want to answer, you are only doing so to cause trouble and you have nothing positive to offer. You are only posting because if you do that, the board will eventually bow to your will (as opposed to being a board member who is only posting to show that you are a cretin who doesn't deserve to object to the work that the brains of IPSE have done).

Or something like that.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                      I've just read his post, it's been very helpful with some decision making. My membership expires today and I'm not renewing it.
                      Please don't do that. You need to be in a postition to make your voice heard. Seriously. You cannot do it from outside the tent.

Comment

Working...
                      X