• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Things aren't what they used to be

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things aren't what they used to be

Email at clientco this morning:

Its Armistice Day today.

11 November 2014 at 11 am

At the eleventh hour on the eleventh day of the eleventh month.

The two minute silence is observed on Armistice Day, the day which marks the end of the First World War.

Feel free to observe this at the office as a mark of respect if you so wish.
    Not sure what to think of this country anymore to be fair, I saw very few people wearing poppies in West London this morning it makes me
    In Scooter we trust

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Email at clientco this morning:

Not sure what to think of this country anymore to be fair, I saw very few people wearing poppies in West London this morning it makes me
    Its worth remembering that commemorating on the 11th is a very recent event (last 10 years at most). Prior to that remembrance just took place on the nearest Sunday and that has already taken place.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I think it is a personal thing.

There are some who have hijacked the poppy to promote nationalism.

Also those who believe that the whole thing is glorifying war.

To me, remembering those who died is separate from being pro-war.

I watched the parade on Sunday and most of it was very moving. But I did wonder about the appropriateness of singing the old wartime songs - almost a nostalgia for wartime spirit (which I don't doubt got people through it), but that's not really what it's about, is it?

Comment

I suppose having taken part in many remembrance parades I'm a bit sentimental about it all and nationalist possibly. I don't agree with the more recent conflicts and neither do many of those I served with.

I'm just grateful for the freedoms I enjoy today even if some aren't.
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
          I suppose having taken part in many remembrance parades I'm a bit sentimental about it all and nationalist possibly. I don't agree with the more recent conflicts and neither do many of those I served with.

I'm just grateful for the freedoms I enjoy today even if some aren't.
          I've never met anyone who doesn't have respect for those who gave their lives. I guess that freedom includes the freedom not to wear a poppy

I don't agree with the more recent conflicts either, but I still think it's important to remember and respect those who gave their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            I think it is a personal thing.

There are some who have hijacked the poppy to promote nationalism.

Also those who believe that the whole thing is glorifying war.

To me, remembering those who died is separate from being pro-war.

I watched the parade on Sunday and most of it was very moving. But I did wonder about the appropriateness of singing the old wartime songs - almost a nostalgia for wartime spirit (which I don't doubt got people through it), but that's not really what it's about, is it?
            Honestly, what an utterly thoughtless post.

What do you expect the old dads and mums to sing then, robbie williams 'let me entertain you' or something? Its songs they sung to keep their no doubt, flagging spirits up. WTF shouldnt they sing their songs?

As for this guff about hijacking the poppy well, in view of other comments in your post, Im not surprised its utter tulipe.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

My poppie has fallen off already today.

The odd thing is the client has added one to it's logo on social media, but I have only seen one other person here wearing one.

Comment

Maybe they're wearing poppy wristbands instead (like I'm doing right now)
                Gronda Gronda

Comment

When I visited Guernsey, we visited a war cemetery, which had the graves of both German and British soldiers. I thought that was nice - the war(s) costed hundreds of lives on both sides and every soldier was giving his life for his country regardless of which side.

Linky (although it keeps redirecting after a few seconds?)
                  BBC - Guernsey - Places - Fort George Cemetery

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                    Honestly, what an utterly thoughtless post.

What do you expect the old dads and mums to sing then, robbie williams 'let me entertain you' or something? Its songs they sung to keep their no doubt, flagging spirits up. WTF shouldnt they sing their songs?

As for this guff about hijacking the poppy well, in view of other comments in your post, Im not surprised its utter tulipe.

I love the poppy, I think it's poignant. I've ordered one of the poppies from the tower. Just pointing out valid reasons why people may choose not to wear one.

But I don't think remembrance and nostalgia for wartime should go hand in hand. I wasn't offended by it, but it may be a reason why people don't want to be part of remembrance day.

But I tend to try to consider other people's viewpoints, preferably without name calling.

Comment

Working...
                    X