• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We can land a probe on a comet 300 million miles away.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    But yet we still can't land a plane with the windows blinds closed

Live: Rosetta comet landing - BBC News

I have a few friends working on that and was having a BBQ a couple of weeks ago with them, looks interesting. As for the planes, another friend was working at Airbus in Hamburg a while ago when they were developing the A380 and the original plan was for that to have no windows and the prototypes he flew on actually had none.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      I have a few friends working on that and was having a BBQ a couple of weeks ago with them, looks interesting. As for the planes, another friend was working at Airbus in Hamburg a while ago when they were developing the A380 and the original plan was for that to have no windows and the prototypes he flew on actually had none.

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

OMG - it's full of stars!

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Has it crashed yet?

Just asking, like.
          No!

"Touchdown! My new address: 67P! #CometLanding - @Philae2104" https://twitter.com/Philae2014/statu...64514051735552

Comment

What happens afterwards? Does it stay there until the oil runs out?
            ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Humor'ish
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Apparently it appears it might have bounced when the anchoring harpoons fired.

Now it's easy for me to be an armchair rocket scientist, but a few hours ago I was pondering how they were going to attach it to the surface. I was thinking - they can't use harpoons because of Newton's third law - equal and opposite reaction and all that

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                  Apparently it appears it might have bounced when the anchoring harpoons fired.

Now it's easy for me to be an armchair rocket scientist, but a few hours ago I was pondering how they were going to attach it to the surface. I was thinking - they can't use harpoons because of Newton's third law - equal and opposite reaction and all that

The harpoons didn't fire.

Still, you would have thought that a team of rocket scientists would have thought of that some time in the twenty-five years they've been working on it.

Oh, hang on, they did: the idea was that a thruster on top of it would fire at the same time as the harpoons were shot into the surface, to counteract the recoil.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    The harpoons didn't fire.

Still, you would have thought that a team of rocket scientists would have thought of that some time in the twenty-five years they've been working on it.

Oh, hang on, they did: the idea was that a thruster on top of it would fire at the same time as the harpoons were shot into the surface, to counteract the recoil.
                    Redundancy. And I don't mean the scientists.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Current status is that it has landed (twice) and is still landed, and is stable.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X