• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract length

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I got bounced for a gig because I had too many "short contracts - ie < 12 months" on my CV in the past 2 years.

It is true. I do. And one this year ended early because I refused to fill in a holiday request form. So I have my own self to blame for that one.

Interestingly the last time this was raised, the contract on offer was 3 months with no chance of extension.

I have good continuity, very few gaps, and have returned to previous clients.

The current gig was only 2 weeks initially and I am still here after 4 months so it's not like I'm that bad.

So, did I dodge a bullet here, or do they have a point?

How would you field this kind of question about contract duration, if the general roll of the dice was 3 monthers for the past 18 months or so because that's just how it was?

Also please do try and keep the signal to noise ratio to something sensible, I only got booted out of one gig and as stated above that was a decision that I took to not fill out a holiday request form and I stand by that.
    When I was contracting, I had a couple of comments from agents and clients about 'gaps.' The reasoning of poor market, my choice was only taken on board by 2 people in all that time. The worst was Hyphen for a role at the then LTSB when they wanted me to provide 'referees' for the few gaps in my cv. Told them to get stuff.

All the others responded with 'well yeah but you can find work if you are prepared to work anywhere in the country.' My response was always 'Correct but I dont want to work just anywhere, thanks.'

I heard crapita now want you to explain any break of 28 days! Are they serious?

I think part of the problem stems from many contractors who are paranoid about finding the next role before the current one ends. Its an almost permie mindset that re inforces the agent's and client's view contractors.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

I wouldn't read anything into it based on one person's prejudices.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

How would you field this kind of question about contract duration, if the general roll of the dice was 3 monthers for the past 18 months or so because that's just how it was?
        You need to market yourself better in the role description, and then the question won't arise. Make sure you can explain why the roles were (in the eyes of some people) short.

Some years back, I had a four week contract. There was no scope for an extension and they told me that at the start - they had identified 22 specific problems with their system post go-live and needed someone to come in, fix them, and piss off. I managed to extend by three days at the end because they found a new problem that needed fixing.

I rate it as one of my best contracts, because there were specific problems, I solved the problems, and I left them happy. I used to get agents asking about it (one suggested that I remove it from the CV and just have a gap!) but I rewrote the description to make it clear that the role was always going to be short-term, I fixed the problems, that four weeks included an extension...

The role is a hell of a lot easier to describe and use to highlight skills used than some long-term projects which ramble on.

Also please do try and keep the signal to noise ratio to something sensible, I only got booted out of one gig and as stated above that was a decision that I took to not fill out a holiday request form and I stand by that.
        I still think that one was fscking stupid
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I suppose it depends on the role and what you do. For my role short gigs are more bandage over a poorly run BAU, the longer gigs are project/programmes that run to completion and you see it through.

I hope when people see my CV they realise a long contract of a year plus is usually followed by 6-8 weeks enjoying bench time, more times than not because it can be hard working away on an intense project so you need some down time to reskill etc
          Last edited by SimonMac; 13 November 2014, 10:39.
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

The place I'm currently at (or at least the dev manager & team lead I'm working with) get put off by short contracts. But these guys also don't seem to understand contracting. When I started they told me about another contractor they had before who was really good, and they seemed baffled by him deciding to move on after a year, as if they'd somehow been let down.

Comment

Obviously need to point out that there are bountiful CV related resources on this wonderful site

CV Guides

Also you can get a free CV review here

Contractor UK - for UK IT Contractors, IT Contracting and Computer Freelancers

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Obviously need to point out that there are bountiful CV related resources on this wonderful site

CV Guides

Also you can get a free CV review here

Contractor UK - for UK IT Contractors, IT Contracting and Computer Freelancers

You haven't already used it in the past, have you?

Edit: I meant, is it only free for one review?

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                  You haven't already used it in the past, have you?

Edit: I meant, is it only free for one review?
                  Never used it before.

ContractorUK has also negotiated that all contractors will receive two free CV updates within the first 12 months when using The Fuller CV’s professional CV writing services.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

"Get Jobs Fast"
                    "Please Choose Latest Salary"

Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

How's that work then? They review the CV for free and charge you a couple of hundred quid if you want to see it?
                      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Working...
                      X