• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should Lewis Hamilton be allowed to use the UK flag?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should Lewis Hamilton be allowed to use the UK flag?

MAX HASTINGS blasts Monaco-based Lewis Hamilton* | Daily Mail Online

Don't wrap yourself in the flag if you won't pay UK tax: MAX HASTINGS blasts Monaco-based Lewis Hamilton

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Don't wrap yourself in the flag if you won't pay UK tax: MAX HASTINGS blasts Monaco-based Lewis Hamilton
    Same with Jenson and a few others...
    Join IPSE

Comment

He left the UK because he didn't get enough privacy here because of the press like the Daily Mail. It's nothing to do with his tax status, it's about the paparazzi.

And for the Daily Mail to complain about tax avoidance when it's owned by a non-dom who still manages to live in the UK and run the company seems more than a little hypocritical.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

He was born in the UK, I think he's entitled to wave his own national flag.

Does that mean if you live abroad and no longer pay tax in your country of original you have to surrender your nationality???
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          He left the UK because he didn't get enough privacy here because of the press like the Daily Mail. It's nothing to do with his tax status, it's about the paparazzi.

And for the Daily Mail to complain about tax avoidance when it's owned by a non-dom who still manages to live in the UK and run the company seems more than a little hypocritical.
          Of course it's to do with his tax status. He can still own a home and pay tax in the UK if he wanted to. He travels the world most of the year anyway for races and testing cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
            Of course it's to do with his tax status. He can still own a home and pay tax in the UK if he wanted to. He travels the world most of the year anyway for races and testing cars.
            Are you suggesting that he wasn't telling the truth when he said it wasn't about his tax status, it was just that he needed his privacy in a tax shelter?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post

Does that mean if you live abroad and no longer pay tax in your country of original you have to surrender your nationality???
              I think he should apply for Czechoslovakian nationality, then he can wrap himself up in the checkered flag

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

Then let him pay UK tax and live in Monaco.

Originally posted by norrahe View Post

Works well for the United States. And I think it should apply to the UK.

Comment

Mail are so flippin inconsistant too - there is another article on there that says he lives in London and Nicole has settled there with him too.

Make up yer minds.... numptys.
                  Bazza gets caught
                  Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I'd take it more seriously (although not by much) if the Wail itself didn't keep referring to him as a British champion.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X