• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorcycling Then and Now

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorcycling Then and Now

Anybody gone back to two wheels after a number of years out?

Some things have changed in the 20 years since I had my last bike.

1) Not removing your crash helmet when entering a garage (or any other shop) is apparently now a cardinal sin and you will be treated like a potential terrorist for not doing so.
    WTF? Nobody used to give a damn. Besides, when its cold, I have to take off my lid, unravel my keffiyeh, whip off my balaclava just for a few seconds while I pay and then stick it all back on again.

I committed this supposed faux pas last week and I was informed by the manager of the garage that I had caused distress to his staff by entering with a helmet on.

I resisted it, but I wanted to ask him what his policy was towards people in burqas.

2) No free parking slots. Every carpark would have a section for bikes. And it was free. Not any more. In fact, in the car parks round here you're expected to park like a car , use a full space and pay accordingly. Great joined up thinking there from local government. Aren't they the ones who like to use a big stick to get people out of their cars and into greener forms of transport?

3) Cars, and vehicles in general, are bigger than they used to be and are a bigger obstacle to avoid. Especially people carriers

Some things haven't changed at all though:

1) Plod are always over you like a rash.

2) People, in general, still don't seem to like motorcyclists. I get the impression that my neighbours were far from impressed when I pulled up on my Ducati Monster. It does have a set of very loud cans, mind you.

My revenge for their noisy offspring that they refuse to keep under control!

not sure a Ducati Penis extension can be viewed as green.

At least Suity can be happy that is one more organ donor in case the sniffles turn into something serious.

Will you be in my blind spot and ready to pounce whenever I put on the brake? Speed past into whatever I'm trying to avoid.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      not sure a Ducati Penis extension can be viewed as green.

At least Suity can be happy that is one more organ donor in case the sniffles turn into something serious.

Will you be in my blind spot and ready to pounce whenever I put on the brake? Speed past into whatever I'm trying to avoid.
      I had this debate with someone the other day & my view is that since we're never stuck in traffic queues belching out fumes giving people asthma or whatever, there is some justification in the green argument.

No that I ride a Ducati Monster mind you...

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
        I had this debate with someone the other day & my view is that since we're never stuck in traffic queues belching out fumes giving people asthma or whatever, there is some justification in the green argument.

No that I ride a Ducati Monster mind you...
        apparently they are on the whole worse.

Greenlings: Which is greener, having two wheels or four?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I don't ever remove my helmet in petrol stations for the reasons you describe. Plus, if I'm wearing my glasses it's a bit of a faff.

You're right about the rest, but there is still SOME parking for bikes. Though, in honesty, I tend to just put it somewhere convenient, out of the way and hope for the best. I'm not a daily rider, though, so it's not really something I worry about.

Comment

Why don't you just pay at the pump?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Why don't you just pay at the pump?
              Can't speak for him, but I have 4 petrol stations within 5 mins of the house and none of them are pay at pump.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                Can't speak for him, but I have 4 petrol stations within 5 mins of the house and none of them are pay at pump.
                Presumably you go more than 5 minutes from your house on your bike

Find a station who either don't care about helmets or have pump payments, and take your custom there to stick it to those who upset you.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Presumably you go more than 5 minutes from your house on your bike

Find a station who either don't care about helmets or have pump payments, and take your custom there to stick it to those who upset you.
                  Oh, none of the ones here have ever actually said anything about me going in with my helmet.

Comment

Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post

1) Plod are always over you like a rash.
                    They are trying to stop you becoming an organ donor. I just spoke to another guy who moaned about this but least he understood why.

Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
                    2) People, in general, still don't seem to like motorcyclists. I get the impression that my neighbours were far from impressed when I pulled up on my Ducati Monster. It does have a set of very loud cans, mind you.
                    That's because you ride on my side of the road not on the white line Am I suppose to plough into you?

Otherwise you don't bother me.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X