• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New stamp duty rates just announced

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    £301k, yes, South East.

Handy really. Our survey raised some issues, damp mostly but hopefully nothing too major. We were looking at anywhere from £1-2.5k to get the issues sorted and our vendor isn't willing to negotiate at all on price (we got it £9k under asking) so this will help us cover those costs with a few grand to spare.

Biggest hurdle for us is convincing them to break the chain and exchange next week in return for us continuing at our original offer price, we need to exchange by Jan.
    good news, sorry had the wrong values in the spreadsheet, we only save £500 we were at the top of the band but its better than a raise.

we had the same, some idiot built a driveway with no drainage sloping towards the house. we got quoted £7K for rising damp - thieves. £100 of drainage and it will be sorted.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      I just put in an offer on a house & have an offer on mine. Shafted both ways now.
      Don't worry, cheaper houses attract less tax

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        good news, sorry had the wrong values in the spreadsheet, we only save £500 we were at the top of the band but its better than a raise.

we had the same, some idiot built a driveway with no drainage sloping towards the house. we got quoted £7K for rising damp - thieves. £100 of drainage and it will be sorted.
        Yes, we have had a quote of about £800 for chemical DPC and replastering (£450 for approx. 1 sqm of plastering!) and all the research I've done suggests this is rubbish.

We revisited the property with a builder and it looks like the damp is mostly a combination of high ground levels (£600 quote to cut back paving and install a French drain), possible leaking down pipe, leaking or badly installed downstairs shower (possibly not tanked or sealed properly) and poor ventilation. Builder quoting about £65/sqm for any replastering needed which is a bit more sensible!

Once we are in I might fork out a few hundred quid for a proper independent damp survey and get more quotes for the French drain.

Comment

from the horses mouth

HM Revenue & Customs: Land and property Stamp Duty Tax calculator
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Although illogical, the old stamp duty "steps" were constraints (albeit artificial and not very substantial) on house price increases.

Despite the Government's stated aim of making property more affordable, eliminating those constraints may have been the intention so close to the election.
            From 2014-12-03 Autumn Statement: Osborne reveals stamp duty reforms

The head of the Office for Budget Responsibility, Robert Chote, said stamp duty reform could put up house prices in some areas, predicted prices would rise where the tax had fallen, and fall where it had risen. ...
            I rest my case

This property stamp duty change is simply a trick to try and prop up property prices, and halt a possible slide (which had already shown signs of starting), before the election.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
            X