• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Women in the Services front line

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I meant, if you DO join the army are you able to control this? Women might currently only join the forces knowing they cannot be on the front line so changing things might mean less want to sign up. And it puts existing female soldiers who signed up under different rules in an interesting position.
    eh ?

people sign up and join units or corps. It's voluntary, you decide where you will end up.

this is about allowing women to join the infantry or armoured units, which they are currently banned from doing.
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      Not probably, definitely statistically fewer. That's why there are mens and womens events in Sport
      Yeah, fair point.
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        eh ?

people sign up and join units or corps. It's voluntary, you decide where you will end up.

this is about allowing women to join the infantry or armoured units, which they are currently banned from doing.
        I thought once you were in the forces you were pretty much at their beck and call, hence my question. I guess I was under the impression women could already join units that might end up fighting, but wouldn't be allowed to join in, or something odd.

If every soldier is allowed to decide if they want to be nominated for front line duty, the question seems trivial... of course they should be allowed to.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I thought once you were in the forces you were pretty much at their beck and call, hence my question. I guess I was under the impression women could already join units that might end up fighting, but wouldn't be allowed to join in, or something odd.

If every soldier is allowed to decide if they want to be nominated for front line duty, the question seems trivial... of course they should be allowed to.
          Forget about 'the front line'. any soldier can find themselves in the front line, even if by accident.

The infantry and armoured units have a special role, to seek out and kill the enemy. That's what is under discussion. Most of the army provide support in one way or another
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            An equality step too far?

BBC News - Women could join British infantry by 2016

Yes, they can probably do all the jobs except the most physically demanding but, fighting to kill or be killed? I dont think I can make that stepmyself.
            In 20 years they probably won't need to go near a battlefield in person. They'll just be flying drones and controlling battlebots by remote control from a bunker in the UK.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
              The issue is not one of equality though. No one is saying that someone could not do the job because of their gender, there probably are statistically fewer women who could but that is due to their physical conditioning and not their gender.

The issue is how it would effect morale and unit cohesion.
              Actually, yes it is (one of equality). I posed the question so I think Im best placed to know what I meant.

Clearly there are some strong women and weaker men. Im not bothered whether butch jane is stronger that wimpy john.

Im posing the question from whether its right for women to be taught to kill and likely be killed on the front line. Whichever way you look at it, the question of equality is there staring us in the face.
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                Why is that different to a similar thing happening to a man?
                Oh, come on!

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  In 20 years they probably won't need to go near a battlefield in person. They'll just be flying drones and controlling battlebots by remote control from a bunker in the UK.
                  Good news for fatties that want to be in the military.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                    You're probably quite correct there. I think what you're referring to is the sanitisation of war. And 20 years later, we'd probably be recruiting the best gamers to sit behind a screen and kill other combatants from the comfort of a cosy chair!

Hideous thought

Comment

Doog is thinking of the Jesus army.

Comment

Working...
                      X