• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tonight's entertaining news article

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight's entertaining news article

BBC News - Man in Birmingham disabled parking bay tow stand-off

A driver who wrongly parked in a disabled bay in Birmingham has been sitting in his car for more than six hours to stop it being towed away.

Who's gonna blink first?

Well someone's given him a cup of coffee. So presumably at some point he'll need a pee.

Comment

Apparently the council backed off and released the car.

Bennetts Hill parking stand-off: Defiant driver WINS battle with parking officials - Birmingham Mail

Comment

Parking in Disabled Bays is one of my pet hates and a display of such arrogance that I'd rather see him and his car crushed.

Comment

Originally posted by Acme Thunderer View Post
          “That’s all I wanted from the beginning,” he said, adding that he now plans to sue Birmingham City Council for loss of earnings.

“I fully intend to sue,” he told the Birmingham Mail.
          Good luck with that then

Comment

I actually did the same once in Crouch End - wasn't parked in a disabled bay, just parked wrongly in a controlled zone because of confusing signage.

Unknown to me, Haringay council's tow truck drives up and down the high street at precisely the confusing time, until some mug (me) pops into M&S.

Anyway, standing in the queue, I saw the gear being attached to my car, so I sprinted out of M&S and sat in it. Eventually they gave up, removed the lifting gear and issued me with a ticket.

I disputed the ticket on the basis of the signage being misleading and paid nothing.

No doubt they do this again and again, cause a) they have all the time in the world b) it's not their money and c) it's a jolly good wheeze.
            Last edited by SantaClaus; 23 December 2014, 22:23.
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

If they are that worried about disabled bays they should try Slough pretty much half the parkers in them seem up for the 800 metres.

It sort of sounds like half and half, the muppet parking illegally and the tow truck coming too quickly with the Police.

I do think this obsession with towing immediately needs looking at, I suspect the law doesn't favour such.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I'm guessing that over the 6 hours and once word had spread then any number of armchair lawyers would have advised him on his rights. Hence the shift from "please please don't tow my car" to "That's it I'm suing."

Comment

section 8.88

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...orcepolicy.pdf

Where a vehicle is causing
                  a hazard or obstruction the enforcement authority should remove
                  rather than immobilise. Immobilisation/removal activity should only
                  take place where it gives clear traffic management benefits.
                  If a driver returns to the vehicle whilst immobilisation or removal
                  is taking place, then, unless they are a persistent evader, it is
                  recommended that the operation is halted, unless the clamp is
                  secured or the vehicle has all its wheels aboard the tow truck. If
                  immobilisation or removal is halted, the PCN should still be enforced.
                  When a vehicle is parked where parking is permitted, authorities must
                  not73 immobilise or remove in the first 30 minutes following the issuing
                  of the PCN, with the exception of ‘persistent evader’ vehicles (see
                  paragraphs 8.105 to 8.107 below) where the time limit is 15 minutes.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    "When a vehicle is parked where parking is permitted, authorities must
                    not73 immobilise or remove in the first 30 minutes following the issuing
                    of the PCN, with the exception of ‘persistent evader’ vehicles (see
                    paragraphs 8.105 to 8.107 below) where the time limit is 15 minutes."

Interesting. In my case, they didn't wait 30 mins. They hadn't even issued the ticket yet.
                    They stopped the truck at my car and started attaching the lifting gear immediately.
                    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                    X