• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unwritten rules question - true story.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unwritten rules question - true story.

Interested in others opinion on this one. When I say a mate I mean just that. It's not me so .

Right, down to business.

I was enjoying a post xmas beverage with a good friend (boyo) and he told me about another mutual friend's latest situation and I reacted exactly the same way he did, appalled. His wife however doesn't think any rules have been broken.

This 3rd friend (3F) is someone we both went to school with all those years ago but he's not someone I am really in regular contact with. When he (3F) got married many moons ago his fiance at the time didn't approve of his mates (Boyo and myself) and so we weren't invited to the wedding, no stag do etc. In fact only one of his university friends was in attendance. A chap we'll call X. So 3F and X were clearly close and were best man at each other's respective weddings X's wife was a good 10 years younger and so not a great deal of history with 3F. 3F's marriage didn't last (shocker) and he hadn't really had anyone serious since. It turns out that X and Mrs X have spilt up citing X's personality as the reason and within 6 weeks of this 3F and ex-mrs X are in a serious relationship. They live about 1.5 hours away from each other.

I call foul. Boyo calls foul. Mrs Boyo (who was intoduced to Boyo via 3F) says fair play.

What say the congregation? It has been stated that nothing had happened before the split.

Now this is an interesting one.

I was expecting the call 'foal' against 3F, not by 3F.

Unusual? Yes. Suspect? Yes.

But the only person to be upset by this is Mr X, I would have thought? I'm with Mrs Boyo.

(Unless you claim ownership of the other person I suppose.)
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Now this is an interesting one.

I was expecting the call 'foal' against 3F, not by 3F.

Unusual? Yes. Suspect? Yes.

But the only person to be upset by this is Mr X, I would have thought? I'm with Mrs Boyo.

(Unless you claim ownership of the other person I suppose.)
      No small horses are involved.

I call that 3F has fouled X.

Comment

Oops.

I'm still with Mrs Boyo, although I would not be impressed by the lack of sensitivity and tact.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          No small horses are involved.

I call that 3F has fouled X.
          well apparently Mr X has fouled Mrs X by being unreasonable.

who cares from the sound of it 3F isn't much of catch.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I'm all for water under the bridge and mixing metaphors being one step ahead.

I'd say Mr Boyo should be worried

Relationships are hard enough without introducing algebra into it. Next time, please consider producing a Dilbert style film strip like the ones in the Sun that depict this type of situation. Then we could digest it over a week and it would be like a real cliff hanger, then on Friday we could all gasp/laugh at the outcome.
            Last edited by tractor; 5 January 2015, 13:30.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
              I'm all for water under the bridge and mixing metaphors being one step ahead.

I'd say Mr Boyo should be worried
              I'd be interested in female regular's opinions on this. I think that is an ownership issue that affects men more than women.

(Not necessarily if you're the wronged woman, but from an outsider's perspective.)

Comment

As I see it, we don't know the real reason for X/Mrs-X's split. We don't know if X came to 3F for advice when his marriage was falling apart.

I'm still close to a good number of old mates but the ones that aren't local I see maybe a couple of times a year. So I can't see how 3F and Mrs-X developed this relationship when everytime they met up until recently it would have involved X as well.

Just to add. X/Mrs-X have a one year old kid to whom 3F is the Godfather.

Comment

Bros before hoes.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

maybe if they managed not to think with their crotches .....

Comment

Working...
                    X