• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Large influx of bob agents?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large influx of bob agents?

I ended my current contract in mid-December, and took a well earned three week break. I have been actively looking for a new role the last week or so, and it seems very quiet out there (as expected for January), but I have had several calls from a number of different bob agencies. I didnt realise such a thing existed!

I am struggling to understand the business model... are they offshoots of the big Indian consultancies? Do they offer clients a mix of onshore and offshore resources? Or do they simply provide recruitment services far cheaper than a UK based agent could?

I found all three of them that I spoke to (Silverlink, Damco and cant remember) extremely difficult to understand, and had to ask them to email me with details. One of them came out with a classic quote - "What is the maximum bottom line you will work for?"

Anyone else found this?

No idea of their business model, but they're a total waste of time. I don't engage with them at all, now. Rates are always crap and requirements are always a joke.

Comment

Hi Stek,
      My self Nithilesh working as an Technical Recruiter with Avance
      It is regarding an Job Opportunity
      Job Role: Middleware Consultant
      Job Type: Contract
      Please contact me nithilesh .g @ avanceservises . uk or call me on +44-203-478-5323 EXT#: 553

Nithilesh .G
      Technical Recruiter for UK process at AVANCE CONSULTING
      Can't even spell 'services'.

And role spec fit's me none!

Comment

I personally don't have a problem working with them if I am jobless and am biting deep into my warchest. As with any other agency/contract, the basic rules apply:

- Fully reviewed /agreed/ modified contract before signing.
        - I found them slightly more money oriented than the rest. If you are lucky, you will get your rate. If you aren't comfortable haggling, steer clear.
        - Contract must clearly reflect the ownership, Client POC etc. They Sub-contract jobs that are usually done by Bob software houses and expect you to be a slave for that company. The hours etc MUST be agreed and printed on metal.
        - Weekend working arrangements MUST be agreed in advance if you are sub-contracting. I usually charge 1.5 * rate for Saturday and 2 * rate for Sunday with an agreed minimum number of hours. Learnt my lessons after burning my fingers Sub-contracting for a Bob Software house.
        - yada yada

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          No idea of their business model, but they're a total waste of time. I don't engage with them at all, now. Rates are always crap and requirements are always a joke.
          It just goes to show how brilliant we UK recruitment agents are
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            Being marginally better than rubbish is no mark of greatness.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Can't even spell 'services'.

!
              Spelt "screwthebastards"
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

at what?

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                  at what?

Comment

On a more serious note, what do you agents think about the Bob agents in the market? Are they any competition? Or are they just vultures?

Comment

Working...
                    X