• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oil industry contractor armageddon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Still supporting a Aberdeen based company... no I'm not trolling, just don't work in IT.
    What's your job - bulltulip generator?

Comment

I'm in Downstream and all is shiny however I know some guys who work offshore on rigs and it's not pretty at all.

Rumours of entire rigs getting mothballed. And if you're a supplier to the Oil shale business, you're fcked in the short term.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        I'm a petrol pump assistant and all is shiny however I know some guys who work offshore on rigs and it's not pretty at all.

Rumours of entire rigs getting mothballed. And if you're a supplier to the Oil shale business, you're fcked in the short term.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Soooo..... a 15% rate cut is imminent (tomorrow), take it or leave it. I am sorely tempted to dig my heels in.

But to quote the great Eastwood "Do you feel lucky, punk....?"

Comment

BBC News - Block on fracking in Scotland announced by minister

First fallout?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              What's your job - bulltulip generator?
              mathematical modeller, so bulltulip generator is about right
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                It's an odd decision, given that the economics means it's unlikely to happen until the price rises anyway. It also depends on whether they're talking about exploration (less impact) or full-fledged production (big impact.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
                  It's an odd decision, given that the economics means it's unlikely to happen until the price rises anyway. It also depends on whether they're talking about exploration (less impact) or full-fledged production (big impact.)
                  I don't think it's odd at all. Most communities are against fracking. It's even on house insurances that damage caused by fracking won't be covered.

Sir Ian Wood fought for the unionist side in the referendum, he has big interests in fracking and the Tory/Labour mob at Westminster are trying to pay him back by allowing fracking. The deal was probably agreed as part of his involvement in Project Fear.

Comment

Originally posted by Tensai View Post
                    Who else is working in the upstream oil/gas industry?

It's an absolute bloodbath for IT contractors, I've never seen anything like it in my 10+ years in the industry, even after the 2008 financial crisis. New projects are being killed at birth, only the most essential ongoing projects are surviving.

Who's had their rate cut or been terminated already?
                    Member of my family got canned last week (permie)

Comment

Makes me glad my skills are not industry specific - hope you O&G guys get it sorted, though

Comment

Working...
                      X