• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

where can i get free computer equipment companies get rid off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
    Most companies can't give PCs away because they have to be safely shredded of confidential data. Of course with a live linux cd this could be done for free in 5 minutes, but the pointless IT managers would rather waste money paying an external company to do that and then sell it (I've bought a few ex-corp laptops this way, my fav lappie is an old IBM Thinkpad).
    why not take the hard drive out before disposal ?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Funnily enough, nor does this.
      With PG, every topic is an opportunity to talk up Linux
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Makes me chuckle this. About 10 years ago I ran another business and came across a guy who actively re cycled pc's. Or so he said. He'd got funding from the council and an enterprise grant etc but just wouldnt do any business!

I tried to link him up with local projects that were crying out for old reconditioned pc's but he wouldnt have any of it. Im sure he was working a scam just to get money off the council and local enterprise department. Weird.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by unemployed View Post
          why not take the hard drive out before disposal ?
          I can only assume the cost of paying somebody to open the PC, remove the HD and make sure it is disposed safely dents the IT department profit margin.

For the record, it doesn't have to be a Linux cd to shred a hd. Back in my day we would do this out of a dos floppy.

I assume for new(er) hard drives with a gpt partition you can only use a linux/unix live cd.
          <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

I assume also, most people wouldn't be bothered to take/buy a cheap old PC if they had to buy a disk and install Windows on it, etc. When my ex employer did this, they wiped and did a clean install of Windows using the license key the PC came with.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
              I can only assume the cost of paying somebody to open the PC, remove the HD and make sure it is disposed safely dents the IT department profit margin.

For the record, it doesn't have to be a Linux cd to shred a hd. Back in my day we would do this out of a dos floppy.

I assume for new(er) hard drives with a gpt partition you can only use a linux/unix live cd.
              At the nuclear power station we'd split them open and get the lads in the engineering dept to grind the platters...

Comment

lots of large corporates & government now Lease so they dont have to pay for EE waste recycling & just hand them back to HP/Dell, etc. at the end of their 3-5 yr cycle.
                Also some places have stopped selling to employees as their insurance does not cover them.

I know remploy have a lot of contracts dealing with surplus/binned IT equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  At the nuclear power station we'd split them open and get the lads in the engineering dept to grind the platters...
                  I had a stack of old hard drives of various origin (Some corporate, some personal) and figured I'd do the same before disposing of them. I thought I'd skip the "open them up" bit, but it turns out they're actually hardy little ****ers! Even my proper reciprocating saw wasn't overly happy and that's like cutting butter normally!

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                    I had a stack of old hard drives of various origin (Some corporate, some personal) and figured I'd do the same before disposing of them. I thought I'd skip the "open them up" bit, but it turns out they're actually hardy little ****ers! Even my proper reciprocating saw wasn't overly happy and that's like cutting butter normally!
                    We had loads of them knocking about, used them as coasters...

Comment

Except for the very determined, it's probably enough to snap off the IDE/SATA/SCSI connectors

Comment

Working...
                      X