Posts 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Jog on mate ...

Banned

FatLazyContractor is NOT a disguised employee

Super poster

vwdan - scorchio!

At least I'll die healthy.

But, really, even that article admits:

Those who jogged at a steady pace for less than two and a half hours a week were least likely to die in this time.
    It seems to indicate pushing past 7mph and 2.5hrs A week is 'bad'*, but I'm willing to bet the vast majority of recreational joggers fall below that.

*I've yet to see the actual mortality stats, but I'm going to presume they're as miniscule as ever but the press just can't resist a headline.

More fingers than teeth

minestrone is NOT a disguised employee

I have been diagnosed with an enlarged left ventricle from running too much, that could be up to 15 hours a week.

Personally the study sounds like a bag of tulipe, although I can actually find it referenced anywhere to give it a read.

1000 people is not even remotely enough to do a study that can make such claims, the study seems to have been done entirely by questionnaire rather than continually medicals for those involved.

And the British heart foundation claim that this is down to restructuring of the heart and arteries where as all I can see the study claims that people are just more likely to die, of anything presumably.

Godlike

Doggy Styles is a permanent contractor

Quote Originally Posted by minestrone View Post
    I have been diagnosed with an enlarged left ventricle from running too much, that could be up to 15 hours a week.

Personally the study sounds like a bag of tulipe, although I can actually find it referenced anywhere to give it a read.

1000 people is not even remotely enough to do a study that can make such claims, the study seems to have been done entirely by questionnaire rather than continually medicals for those involved.

And the British heart foundation claim that this is down to restructuring of the heart and arteries where as all I can see the study claims that people are just more likely to die, of anything presumably.
    Like being run over on a run, heart attack of the sedentary first timer.

More fingers than teeth

darmstadt is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by minestrone View Post

That would be this one I presume: http://content.onlinejacc.org/articl...icleID=2108914

1,098 healthy joggers and 3,950 healthy nonjoggers
    Conclusions The findings suggest a U-shaped association between all-cause mortality and dose of jogging as calibrated by pace, quantity, and frequency of jogging. Light and moderate joggers have lower mortality than sedentary nonjoggers, whereas strenuous joggers have a mortality rate not statistically different from that of the sedentary group.
    Just the press...don't worry.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Lord of the Vectras

VectraMan - scorchio!

What about cycling? Are you still as healthy as a non-jogger? Or does the likelyhood of being run over make up for it?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by VectraMan View Post
    What about cycling? Are you still as healthy as a non-jogger? Or does the likelyhood of being run over make up for it?
    Any and every exercise is harmful to you lad!

I haven't heard of a single case of death while watching the Telly with a pint of John smiths

Lord of the Vectras

VectraMan - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    Any and every exercise is harmful to you lad!

I haven't heard of a single case of death while watching the Telly with a pint of John smiths
    As was in the news yesterday everyone now an even chance of getting Cancer thanks to people living longer. So your best bet for avoiding cancer is a lifetime of sloth and burgers because then you'll die young.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Banned

As was in the news yesterday everyone now an even chance of getting Cancer thanks to people living longer.
    Yes, the news was puked out by Beeb like a fact. Half of us will get cancer, apparently!

So your best bet for avoiding cancer is a lifetime of sloth and burgers because then you'll die young.
    Scotch and Caviar lad! We are contractors!