• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long to stay on my first contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    If you previous jobs where permanent and you've spent 2 years at your first contract your CV screams Permie and you will be back at square 1 trying to get a contract....

So either start contract hunting, give in and go back permie or sit there until they kick you out but I think you will find getting another contract is going to be hard work....
    Also take the pessimism with a pinch of salt. He does that. Negative personality trait IMHO.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Also take the pessimism with a pinch of salt. He does that. Negative personality trait IMHO.
      How is your job hunt going.. Have the Germans taken pity on you yet and thrown you a few more weeks?
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        How is your job hunt going.. Have the Germans taken pity on you yet and thrown you a few more weeks?
        I sit here in rags, begging for more. Choking German pole. Living the dream.
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

2 years is an age. have you finished the job you were originally contracted to do? get out there and grow in experience - that's what your new clients will be wanting to pay for.

Comment

Boobylicious girl on reception with cheeky smile would also be an indicator of renewal acceptance.
            I see what you did there: Court rules that groping a woman's breasts is not a sackable offence in Germany | Daily Mail Online
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              WGAF

Grow some and decide your own destiny

HTH
              Woohoo yeah man, right on!

For the rest of us, who want to make evidence based decisions, this is not a great answer... Sorry.

Comment

Depends. If the coffee is good, and free then that's a keeper.

Boobylicious girl on reception with cheeky smile would also be an indicator of renewal acceptance.

What about workload? Can you goof off for 3 hour pub lunches at opening time with no one noticing? Again strong indicator.

So many variables in a tricky equation see. Need more background before I can fully give my expert opinion.
                Loving this answer!!
                But seriously...

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
                  Ultimately the WP drive whether it is inside or outside, and if they are outside based on one or more of the three pillars, the length of the engagement is irrelevant. I guess it may make it easier for HMRC to investigate you, given that there would be fewer contracts with fewer clients to wade through, but AFAIK they still need to pay some heed to cost-efficiency, so high turnover, high dividend:salary ratio (both of which mean higher yield) and being on a bad footing with HMRC, e.g. due to late returns, are all probably bigger risk factors, coupled with whatever crusades they are on at any point in time, e.g. public sector. You can also mitigate risk through IR35 insurance and contract reviews, e.g. through Qdos. All this is assuming it doesn't become some relic whilst they move onto a new means of targeting contractors, e.g. through the incoming agency reporting requirements.

The 24 month rule re: expenses is the only thing that is impacted by the length of the engagement.
                  Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Any need for this?
                  Well last time I interviewed, they liked I am not jumping ship every 6 months. Some contractors are required to do more than cleaning someone else's toilets mate

edit: sorry replied to the wrong post... this was meant to go to the bloke who said 2 years are too long.
                  Last edited by nicholas22; 11 February 2015, 21:14. Reason: wrong user replied to

Comment

Originally posted by nicholas22 View Post
                    I am almost 2 years in and this is my first contract.
                    Well last time I interviewed, they liked I am not jumping ship every 6 months.

Some contractors are required to do more than cleaning someone else's toilets mate
                    And generally, they are the ones that can make their own decisions, run their own business, and understand the wider implications of their decisions on both their current and future business operations.

If your CV screams permie, then unless you have something which makes you stand out from the crowd of CVs that an agent will have, you are already facing an uphill climb.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by DS23 View Post
                      2 years is an age. have you finished the job you were originally contracted to do? get out there and grow in experience - that's what your new clients will be wanting to pay for.
                      I agree two years is an age - but only if you are new to contracting. This client has paid me to implement their system, and now I'm being paid to take it out again, which will take me to three years (I hope) - but my CV has other relevant experience so the length of this contract shouldn't impact on getting new work.

I'll find out next year, I guess.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X