• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leaving a contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    The issue for Suity is that he is looking for contracts in a market that has a certain amount of longevity built into them (business analysis,development) with a CV full of short term business process contracts....

A set of 3 month long contracts when looking in an industry that usually has contractors in for 6 months + sadly means that you look mediocre (not good enough to be renewed which often isn't a big hurdle, but not so horrendously bad that they bin you immediately).
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      That was actually written to support you. You should see the anti-suity version (although I think it would cause a full on flounce so I'm saving until MF offers better odds)...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

That was actually written to support you. You should see the anti-suity version (although I think it would cause a full on flounce so I'm saving until MF offers better odds)...
        Telling me I look mediocre is supportive?

Comment

Stop being a softie southerner Suity.

Be rough, be a man!

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
            Stop being a softie southerner Suity.

Be rough, be a man!
            I'm told Preek is a classic keyboard warrior and would run a mile if I said boo.

Boo!

Comment

context is everything

a CV full of short term business process contracts.... makes you look mediocre when applying for c# development roles which are typically longer duration.

Could be worse I could have said exactly what your typical agent sees....

a CV full of short term contracts.... makes you look mediocre when applying for similar roles which are typically longer duration.

at which point he moves on to the next candidate who instantly looks brilliant when compared with.....

Comment

context is everything

a CV full of short term business process contracts.... makes you look mediocre when applying for c# development roles which are typically longer duration.

Could be worse I could have said exactly what your typical agent sees....

a CV full of short term contracts.... makes you look mediocre when applying for similar roles which are typically longer duration.

at which point he moves on to the next candidate who instantly looks brilliant when compared with.....
                The context was you were insulting me though

Comment

I'm told Preek is a classic keyboard warrior and would run a mile if I said boo.

Boo!

Actually boo.com was one of my favourite contracts. Decent location (Carnaby Street, London), decent people, good pay and interesting work.

Shame the concept was 7 years too early...

Comment

OP - If I were in your position I'd take the money. The project is not clearly defined and could end tomorrow.

I take the point about lots of short contracts but,IME, this is more of a problem for the agent. The agents don't like it because they know you won't milk it (keep the commission going). The clients love it because you go in, do what you say you'll do and then bugger off quietly. Saves them loads of money so (for you) it's all about how you sell it on your CV.
                    +50 Xeno Geek Points
                    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Actually boo.com was one of my favourite contracts. Decent location (Carnaby Street, London), decent people, good pay and interesting work.

Shame the concept was 7 years too early...
                      Were you there for the "I am an insect!" speech that the bloke who set it up gave?
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X