• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Peter Oborne quites Daily Telegraph.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peter Oborne quites Daily Telegraph.

PETER OBORNE QUITS TELEGRAPH - Guy Fawkes' blog

The past few years have seen the rise of shadowy executives who determine what truths can and what truths can’t be conveyed across the mainstream media......
    Wouldnt bother asking for a reference Mr Oborne!

I seen a tweet last week asking if Oborne had bi polar.

Comment

I saw a CUK post about this earlier: http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post2056804
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Don't blame him.

It's the Guardian in drag these days

Comment

Blimey no one has commented on the in the title?
          Growing old is mandatory
          Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
            Blimey no one has commented on the in the title?
            It is posted by Scooter? Then no.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Good for him. I hope he fines gainful employment at a more honest news outlet.

Comment

He was having a proper strop on R4 this morning. Why he thinks a commercial news paper's editorial policy should and must never be influenced by commercial pressures is beyond me.

Comment

Did anyone actually read what he wrote?

Last week I made another discovery. Three years ago the Telegraph investigations team—the same lot who carried out the superb MPs’ expenses investigation—received a tip off about accounts held with HSBC in Jersey. Essentially this investigation was similar to the Panorama investigation into the Swiss banking arm of HSBC. After three months research the Telegraph resolved to publish. Six articles on this subject can now be found online, between 8 and 15 November 2012, although three are not available to view.

Thereafter no fresh reports appeared. Reporters were ordered to destroy all emails, reports and documents related to the HSBC investigation. I have now learnt, in a remarkable departure from normal practice, that at this stage lawyers for the Barclay brothers became closely involved. When I asked the Telegraph why the Barclay brothers were involved, it declined to comment.

This was the pivotal moment. From the start of 2013 onwards stories critical of HSBC were discouraged. HSBC suspended its advertising with the Telegraph. Its account, I have been told by an extremely well informed insider, was extremely valuable. HSBC, as one former Telegraph executive told me, is “the advertiser you literally cannot afford to offend”. HSBC today refused to comment when I asked whether the bank’s decision to stop advertising with the Telegraph was connected in any way with the paper’s investigation into the Jersey accounts.
                  Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    I seen a tweet last week asking if Oborne had bi polar.
                    Should be 'saw'.

HTH
                    I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Working...
                    X