• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is a historic walk?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a historic walk?

Bear with me please.

The phrase "a historic walk" - how do you interpret it? I see two possible interpretations, although to me the "true" meaning is clear. Does it mean

(a) A walk that was in of itself historic; a walk that made history (because of its significance). For example, the first walk across the Alps. The first walk from John O'Groats to Land's End.

(b) A walk to or through somewhere historic. For example, a walk through the Forum in Rome, a walk through First World War battlefields.

Interested to hear your thoughts, thanks!

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Bear with me please.

The phrase "a historic walk" - how do you interpret it? I see two possible interpretations, although to me the "true" meaning is clear. Does it mean

(a) A walk that was in of itself historic; a walk that made history (because of its significance). For example, the first walk across the Alps. The first walk from John O'Groats to Land's End.

(b) A walk to or through somewhere historic. For example, a walk through the Forum in Rome, a walk through First World War battlefields.

Interested to hear your thoughts, thanks!
    Depends on context shirley.

Comment

The walk I did from home to the pub yesterday evening. It was in the past and hence Historic.

HTH

Comment

Another possibility ?
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          Depends on context shirley.
          I don't think so. But FWIW here are 3 example contexts. Please add your own if you want

(1) I (Platypus) live in a small town that has lots of history. Last week I went to the shops. Nothing eventful happened. My walk to the shops was not reported in the news. Nobody noticed.

As I set off on my historic walk though the ancient market town ....

Question: Was this a historic walk?

(2) Or this context:

Someone I know went on a long walk (2 weeks) through northern Europe to see the battlefields. Nothing eventful happened. His walk was not reported in the news. Nobody noticed. He's written a memoir which begins:

As I set off on my historic walk though the battlefields of northern Europe ....

(3) Or this context:

Neil Armstrong was the first man to walk on the moon. It happened in 1969. This event dominated the news at the time. It's been written about extensively both then and now.

As I set off on my historic walk across the moonscape ....

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
            The walk I did from home to the pub yesterday evening. It was in the past and hence Historic.

HTH
            If that was Suity it would be a histrionic walk.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

If you go for a long walk, does that mean you went for a walk to somewhere long?
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

If I saw a "historic walk" advertised, I'd assume it was a walk taking in sites of historic interest. Whether that is strictly correct grammatical use, I'm in some doubt, but not convinced it isn't.

I don't think a walk to the shops could be described as historic in that sense, as the purpose of the walk was to get booze and fags, not historical culture.

Comment

It's all about symantics

So we have a sentence :

I went on an historic walk.

So we have the subject, me, doing something and then the adjective, "historic".

Or rather, let's back it off a bit and forget about the walk and just say "event". This should allow us to focus on the adjective a little more.

I saw an historic event.
                  I was involved in an historic event.
                  It was an historic event.

All mean the same thing, and should give you the answer to which you seek.

HTH
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

In most cases you wouldn't know that something you were doing was historic; it would only be years later that it would become historic. So you can't say "I'm going for a historic walk", unless perhaps you were Neil Armstrong about to step out on the moon.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X