• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BiFocals/VariFocals

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Yes, and you should buy the most expensive ones you can afford as they work better and take much less getting used to. Cheapo varifocals are a false economy. Why skimp with your eyes when it's how you make your living.
    He wants to get signed off sick.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
      Boots or Specsavers
      Absolutely agree. Go to a high-street chain where they employ under-qualified chimps to test your eyes.

Don't even think about going to a small optician who's been in business for years and knows what (s)he's doing, relies on repeat business and quality service.

Comment

Originally posted by aoxomoxoa View Post
        Varifocals (aka "transitions") are the way to go.
        Actually transitions is the brand name for lenses that go dark in sunlight, You can get single-vision transitions as well as bifocal/varifocal transitions.

Source: Worked for a company for 15 years that ran a chain of opticians shops and manufactured specs (I can't recommend them now because they don't exist any more, the owner sold the profitable foreign half of the business and closed down the loss-making UK side, closing all the branches and making everyone redundant.)

When we were selling someone varifocals and they'd never worn them before, we'd let them get used to the lenses for a few weeks before ordering their second pair (it was one of those permanent "two for the price of one" deals). If the customer couldn't get on with the varifocals then we'd either offer them bifocals or two single-vision pairs (distance and reading).

Whichever optician you choose, they shouldn't leave you with an expensive pair of glasses you can't use and then say it's your fault you chose them.
        • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
        • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

Originally posted by DannyF1966 View Post
          Actually transitions is the brand name for lenses that go dark in sunlight....
          Ooops. thanks for the correction.

Comment

I have myopia too, but not suitable for varifocals (spec or contacts). My prescription is -8.50 (very short-sighted ) and the varifocals become too much of a compromise.

I tried varifocal contact lenses and they were next to useless.

My contact lenses are corrected so that my dominant eye is corrected for reading and my passive eye is used for long-distance. My brain then compensates with binocular vision - this solution works for me.

My Specs are corrected for long distance vision and I can't read with them at all...
            Last edited by Scruff; 18 March 2015, 14:07. Reason: Myopic Edit
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Go to Asda. Cheap, what else matters?

Asda takes on High Street with £40 varifocal glasses | Daily Mail Online

Not got any but tried on a friend's and they were fantastic, could see everything.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Not got any but tried on a friend's and they were fantastic, could see everything.
                That's the old line isn't it; "You must have fantastic eyesight to see through these glasses..."
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

The usual Wail bollocks. Tesco's pick the most expensive designer frames and lenses they can find and then claim they are selling the same thing cheaper.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

On my second pair of varies now. First pair was a small frameless pair, which meant that the variance happens in a small area, and I didn't get on with them for ages. New pair are larger, and this seems to make a huge difference to their usability.
                    World's Best Martini

Comment

Working...
                    X