• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The sexist behaviour thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post

Yes, you called one woman a babe (you sexist pig), and said that she was wearing loose clothing to stop the guys perving at her. I guess that must be the sexist bit - objectifying her for being good looking, yet saying she isn't confident enough to rock it, and has to cover herself up to succeed in the workplace / avoid unwanted attention - but I doubt it. .
    You got some pics of her in tight clothing lad?!

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
      I don't think there was actually anything sexist in there, unless it's the accusation that the men may be lonely sex-pests.

I think the issue is that you pointed out the gender of someone before insulting them, thus it is, of course, sexist.

The original has been deleted, but I don't remember there being any insults there that couldn't be applied equally to men or women (something about the Scrum Leader having eaten too many pies and being a fat pig with their nose in the trough), or any that implied someone was better or worse than others because of their gender.

Yes, you called one woman a babe (you sexist pig), and said that she was wearing loose clothing to stop the guys perving at her. I guess that must be the sexist bit - objectifying her for being good looking, yet saying she isn't confident enough to rock it, and has to cover herself up to succeed in the workplace / avoid unwanted attention - but I doubt it.

It's either that or a kneejerk "he said something crude, and insulted a woman, therefore it's sexist" reaction.
      Not me, btw. I was just wondering because I didn't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
        Not me, btw. I was just wondering because I didn't get it.
        Oops, sorry, yes - just saw it was SiH.

Comment

OK, I'll bite - in a roomful of 7 people, the two who are singled out for personal comment on their appearance are the women.

One 'ate all the pies' and one is a 'babe' who makes herself look unattractive by dressing in baggy clothes.

These two women have clearly failed to realise that their role in the scrum meeting is as eye candy.

The 5 men were grouped together with a description of 'geeks'. The term geek is generally used to refer to a techy. Is it any less likely that the women are techies than the men?

Not sure it warrants a 3 day ban though!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            OK, I'll bite - in a roomful of 7 people, the two who are singled out for personal comment on their appearance are the women.

One 'ate all the pies' and one is a 'babe' who makes herself look unattractive by dressing in baggy clothes.

These two women have clearly failed to realise that their role in the scrum meeting is as eye candy.

The 5 men were grouped together with a description of 'geeks'. The term geek is generally used to refer to a techy. Is it any less likely that the women are techies than the men?

Not sure it warrants a 3 day ban though!
            Geek isn't generally synonymous with techie. Rather, techies are generally considered to be geeks. The distinction is important.

I've never heard a mum/dad/brother/sister answer the question: "So what does your son/brother do for a living?" with: "Oh, he's a geek".

But even if the scenario you paint is true , then it would also have to be considered sexist if the genders were reversed, right? Otherwise your definition of sexism would be sexist in and of itself.

So with that being the case, assuming it were valid, the logical consequence of such reasoning would be to suppose that it is sexist to suggest that men find women attractive, and that women find men attractive.

So do you think that suggesting that men & women might find each other attractive is a sexist suggestion to make? Or that women can only be fat if there is also a fat man in the room? And that a man can only be fat if there's a fat woman in the room?

I know they don't have the 'fat controller' in thomas tank engine anymore - but was it sexist to have a fat controller?
            Last edited by SpontaneousOrder; 26 March 2015, 14:33.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              ...Why are blonde jokes so short?

So men can remember them
              Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
              And I don't get what you mean about blonde jokes?
              Get it now? Or is just one blonde joke outside your scope?

You could just answer me seeing as you're a mod and supposed to set a good example, etc.
              Where on earth did you get that idea.

Furthermore, it was a comment not directly relevant to the thread. It was made solely for the amusement of the poster.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I think my explanation was clear enough - the comment could be read that the purpose of the men in the room is to do geeky stuff, the purpose of the women (not performed satisfactorily due to excessive enjoyment of pies/baggy clothing) is to look pretty.

Comment

I think my explanation was clear enough - the comment could be read that the purpose of the men in the room is to do geeky stuff, the purpose of the women (not performed satisfactorily due to excessive enjoyment of pies/baggy clothing) is to look pretty.
                  Well done sweetcheeks, now you're getting it.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Who makes the tea?!?

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                      Who makes the tea?!?
                      YOU!

Tea boy.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X