• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PCP car finance, is optional payment included in credit amount?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ASB View Post
    you pay interest on the 15k. Obviously.
    Yes you do, but not as part of the finance with the dealer...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Yes you do, but not as part of the finance with the dealer...
      Not for the firsttime I am completely baffled.

it is very rare for dealers to finance anyway. They are simply introducers anyway.

whoever provides the finance pays the dealer. You pay them, you may or not make the final payment. The finance co ownsthe car until you pay it all (notwithstanding rules of 1/2 and 1/3). It is just like any other form of hp.

Comment

Is this another Suity or SAS sockie ?
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
          Not for the firsttime I am completely baffled.

it is very rare for dealers to finance anyway. They are simply introducers anyway.

whoever provides the finance pays the dealer. You pay them, you may or not make the final payment. The finance co ownsthe car until you pay it all (notwithstanding rules of 1/2 and 1/3). It is just like any other form of hp.
          The way PCP works is that the dealer (or the finance company, to be precise) secure the final payment against the vehicle itself. The loan then covers the cost of the car less that final amount at commercial rates, apparently reducing the total loan amount and hence the interest paid against it. At the end of the deal they want their £!5k back, so they either keep the car, you pay it to them from your own pocket or you start again with a fresh deal and roll the balance of the final payment in to that one.

There is some interest due on the final payment money, of course, but only what it is costing the finance company to lose access to that sum for a few years as opposed to having t fund a three year loan deal from the bank for that amount, but they are making money from the deal itself which likely more than covers that fairly small amount.

But as has been said, buying the best car you can afford from your own pocket is the better idea.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Use the built in formula in Excel and you can calculate and compare the balloon payment yourself?
            I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Mal,

The balance you borrow is still the purchase prices less the deposit.

Interest is charged at the normal rates. Obviously a finance co could chose to apply different rates to different portions of the loan. Never seen it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                So with insurance, tax and servicing on top it will cost you about £1.70 per mile and you won't even own it until you make a further payment of £15,000.

I have always paid cash for a car in the range I an afford.

Have you got a small willy?
                Finance is cheaper than 25% on dividend payments.

Comment

Working...
                X