• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to drive firms away from the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
    Don't understand this one at all. It's a typical Labour policy so why it's come from the Tories is beyound me.
    A few possibilities, off the top of my head

1. It's an EU directive, or aimed at covering an imminent directive increasing annual leave entitlements

(Any time the Government stubbornly press ahead with some misguided or barking mad policy apparently at odds with their general outlook, you can be fairly sure the EU is behind it. The Government is often reluctant to admit this as it shows how utterly impotent they are to do otherwise.)

2. It's a lame attempt to woo wavering left wing liberals, who might consider voting Tory if they thought Tories are now nice enough.

3. Cameron feels he has to accommodate some bossy underling with a bee in their bonnet about this, and threatening to defect to UKIP or something if he doesn't accede to their wishes.

4. Perhaps a crafty way of reducing the amount paid to military reservists for their weekends charging about in tanks on Salisbury Plain
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

1. It's an EU directive, or aimed at covering an imminent directive increasing annual leave entitlements

(Any time the Government stubbornly press ahead with some misguided or barking mad policy apparently at odds with their general outlook, you can be fairly sure the EU is behind it. The Government is often reluctant to admit this as it shows how utterly impotent they are to do otherwise.)

2. It's a lame attempt to woo wavering left wing liberals, who might consider voting Tory if they thought Tories are now nice enough.

3. Cameron feels he has to accommodate some bossy underling with a bee in their bonnet about this, and threatening to defect to UKIP or something if he doesn't accede to their wishes.

4. Perhaps a crafty way of reducing the amount paid to military reservists for their weekends charging about in tanks on Salisbury Plain
      5. Since he tried to introduce the concept of "The big community" this is something he actually believes in and is trying to support.

Why is everyone such a cynic?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Indeed. I meant a reduction in tax rate. How about to Ireland level?
        I think our tax rate along with tax credits for the working are helping companies enough.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          you know most western philanthropists were filthy capitalists?
          Yes but most filthy capitalists are not philanthropists so that's a meaningless point, especially considering that you generally can't be a philanthropist unless you got rich by BEING a filthy capitalist.

Your argument is like saying drug dealing isn't bad if some of them gave some of their drug money to charity. Not that I'm anti-capitalism, your argument is just bad
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            And look how well their economy is doing.
            Without very low corporate tax rates they would be doing much worse.

Comment

Yes but most filthy capitalists are not philanthropists so that's a meaningless point, especially considering that you generally can't be a philanthropist unless you got rich by BEING a filthy capitalist.

Your argument is like saying drug dealing isn't bad if some of them gave some of their drug money to charity. Not that I'm anti-capitalism, your argument is just bad
              balderdash.

Plenty of lifelong lefties have played the system or inherited cash yet not put a penny back. Millibrain senior for instance. Lottery winners every week yet how many charitable foundations do they set up?

Equating capitalism to drug dealing is frankly trotskist tosh.

My point was that many rich individuals from capitalist families set up the organisations that made our society much better. Many organisations we would think of as 'filthy' or at least ruthlessly efficient capitalists contribute generously to charity. Wallmart for instance.

America's Most Generous Companies - Forbes

Zuck tops the polls personally.

Gates & Buffet have done great things.

despite what you might think all of these have obtained their money without selling 'baggies' on street corners to addicted schoolkids.

Give me a company that creates jobs and observes the law over some some dope smoking marxist who will languish in politics or the beeb any day.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                balderdash.
                You're piling one ridiculous comparison on top of another.

Most rich people are not inheriting lefties. Most rich people are capitalists. Most rich people are not notable philanthropists at all, but statistically most of those are will be capitalists.

Your logic just doesn't hold up. Trying to say you found a tiny number of philanthropic capitalists and a tiny number of selfish lottery winners (there are so few lottery winners at all) is manipulating statistics like a tabloid journalist.

Comment

You're piling one ridiculous comparison on top of another.

Most rich people are not inheriting lefties. - True but some are and few of those are noted philanthropists.

Most rich people are capitalists. Most rich people are not notable philanthropists at all, but statistically most of those that are will be capitalists. - YES!

Your logic just doesn't hold up. Trying to say you found a tiny number of philanthropic capitalists and a tiny number of selfish lottery winners (there are so few lottery winners at all) is manipulating statistics like a tabloid journalist. - no its not I said most philanthropists are capitalists, you suggested that was rubbish.

in text
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

It sounds like the policy was thought up over a coffee break. Probably one of Samantha Cameron's bright ideas.

Comment

I never said that most philanthropists weren't capitalists. I agreed they were, but that this was a stupid point to make, which proves nothing. It's pretty clear most philanthropists must be capitalists, because those are in general the people who have the money! Only a minority of millionaires are aristocracy or lottery winners

One could argue that most of the would-be philanthropists never get noticed because their philanthropic tendencies lead to them never being rich in the first place. Many of the most famous philanthropists made that decision after getting rich... to the point that money has no meaning in the likes of Gates, Buffet et al. For them, philanthropy doesn't materially affect their lifestyle one jot; 1% of their wealth would still leave them ridiculously wealthy.

Comment

Working...
                      X