• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you pay to upgrade?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
    Yes - was a while ago when working for Ericsson. I'm quite a laid back individual, not stroppy, but direct, so I would point out to them in a nice way that I didn't want to go / do it.

Why would you lose your contract over this? I would question why you want to work with someone who "made" you go abroad, or did you agree that you would go when you took the contract? If you agreed then I suppose you'll have to cough up for the comfort, or as you say, just be cramped for a bit.
    Travel is part of my role. No one makes me do it. But it's expected that I will, without fussing. It's often good fun! This trip should be a hoot: I'm meeting with about 20 ClientCo colleagues from all over the world so there will be much hilarity, good food and tasty beverages. It's just that long-haul can be a bitch in economy. I did 2 x 12 hrs flights last month in economy and it didn't kill me. Cheap upgrades are a no-brainer, but this time, it's just a little bit 'ouch'!

Comment

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
      Yes - was a while ago when working for Ericsson. I'm quite a laid back individual, not stroppy, but direct, so I would point out to them in a nice way that I didn't want to go / do it.

Why would you lose your contract over this? I would question why you want to work with someone who "made" you go abroad, or did you agree that you would go when you took the contract? If you agreed then I suppose you'll have to cough up for the comfort, or as you say, just be cramped for a bit.
      I'm with Platypus on this one, but I appreciate that YMMV. You just have to accept that some clients won't budge on certain issues. As I say, they may think nothing about paying an outrageous day rate, but won't budge on expenses. IMHO, you have to take a flexible attitude, because the bigger picture may stack up incredibly well.

Comment

Procter & Gamble won't even reimburse you if you go economy to the US, you must travel business class. I was with them when the Sept 11 attacks happened and a colleague was en-route to Cincinnati, he got diverted to a little town in Canada and had to spend a week there.
        I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
          Procter & Gamble won't even reimburse you if you go economy to the US, you must travel business class. I was with them when the Sept 11 attacks happened and a colleague was en-route to Cincinnati, he got diverted to a little town in Canada and had to spend a week there.
          There you go. There are some seriously odd policies around on travel and ODCs...

Comment

Does their CEO fly economy, I mean it's client co policy....

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Does their CEO fly economy, I mean it's client co policy....

Of course they don't. What's your point exactly? If your point is that you can negotiate this away as a small supplier, you're very wrong in my experience. Just negotiate a better rate, because that's where they have the flexibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                Travel is part of my role. No one makes me do it. But it's expected that I will, without fussing. It's often good fun! This trip should be a hoot: I'm meeting with about 20 ClientCo colleagues from all over the world so there will be much hilarity, good food and tasty beverages. It's just that long-haul can be a bitch in economy. I did 2 x 12 hrs flights last month in economy and it didn't kill me. Cheap upgrades are a no-brainer, but this time, it's just a little bit 'ouch'!
                Most of my contracts include international travel as well. When going direct I've put in my contract what class of travel to use for what length of flight, or "that all flights will be Prem Economy where available, or Business Class with prior approval from the Client", or other terms.
                I also have clauses for subsistence, rail travel, laundry and, if staying over weekends, for hire cars (I tend to be sent places for 3 - 6 weeks at a time and want to see some of the country while I'm there).

When through agents it can be a pain - you often can't get travel / expense terms fully detailed. Normally companies are so scared of being sued for DVT problems that they already have minimum class standards for different flights - I have never had a company, either as permie or when contracting, who would say the US is an Econ. route.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  Of course they don't. What's your point exactly? If your point is that you can negotiate this away as a small supplier, you're very wrong in my experience. Just negotiate a better rate, because that's where they have the flexibility.
                  My point is if travel is "part of your contract", your contract should override any policy. My personal time travelling has a high price and so does my health. If you want to die of DVT for a tulipty low paid contract, go right ahead.

Comment

Some of you lot are unreal. You seem to think that economy is going to kill you? Get a grip will you.

Would you pay your own money for a holiday in business class? If so, you're richer than me. With two kids, its a case of economy/premium if I can afford it.

Kicking off to a client if they tell you its economy only is just nuts. Yeh fair enough if they ask you to travel then maybe they should at least pay for premium but not all companies will. They;re not going to change their policy for one arsey contractor.

Kicking off just makes you look like a nobhead.
                    Last edited by psychocandy; 13 April 2015, 14:02.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I guess it depends where you are on the IT scale. I'm sure the Bobs all fly economy too, it's part of their low cost appeal.

Comment

Working...
                      X