• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top up your pension...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top up your pension...

... before the money grabbing bastards take more of your hard-earned

Conservatives also announce plans to cut pension tax relief

Assuming they do something along the lines of limiting relief to basic rate, I wonder if this would affect company contributions?

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    ... before the money grabbing bastards take more of your hard-earned

Conservatives also announce plans to cut pension tax relief

Assuming they do something along the lines of limiting relief to basic rate, I wonder if this would affect company contributions?
    If you pay just from the company you should be ok, but be careful as the lifetime limit (IE the maximum a pension can pay out) has already been cut from £1.5m to £1.25m, a few of us could hit that limit if they start early and invest well but for old folks like you you should be set
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Locking money away in a long term pension feels like a ticking time bomb to me.

Only a matter of time before a future government ends up devaluing the pound/taxes them/changes the rules again/inflates them into oblivion?

Comment

Originally posted by alphadog View Post
        Locking money away in a long term pension feels like a ticking time bomb to me.

Only a matter of time before a future government ends up devaluing the pound/taxes them/changes the rules again/inflates them into oblivion?
        They can take away my pension, but they will never take away my immense Tory/Tax Payer supported BTL Portfolio!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          They can take away my pension, but they will never take away my immense Tory/Tax Payer supported BTL Portfolio!
          Once Labour and the SNP get in, BTLers will be squished. Perhaps even in the first (emergency) budget.

Comment

BTLers are like economic cockroaches, invincible even in the face of Labour policy! If they are taqxed more, they just stick the rents up to cover. House prices go up they make tax free gains, house prices go down it just means buy more at a higher yield...

Labour immigration policy means even more profits!

Comment

Until they force you to take benefit claimants at state-mandated levels of acceptable rent, or forcibly sell your properties at 70% off.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                If you pay just from the company you should be ok, but be careful as the lifetime limit (IE the maximum a pension can pay out) has already been cut from £1.5m to £1.25m, a few of us could hit that limit if they start early and invest well but for old folks like you you should be set
                Didn't George Osbourne reduce it to £1m in the latest budget.

In terms of this change, Labour is planning on making a similar change anyway - in fact this one isn't quite as strict. You don't lose all the tax relief - just reduce it to £10k for those earning £210K.

But once the concept of non-marginal relief has been set - just watch how easily the thresholds will drop.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Until they force you to take benefit claimants at state-mandated levels of acceptable rent, or forcibly sell your properties at 70% off.
                  I think you'll find all the LibLabCon MPs are fully BTL loaded themselves, so it's the only true "safe in any economic event" form of investment.

Comment

BTLers are like economic cockroaches, invincible even in the face of Labour policy! If they are taqxed more, they just stick the rents up to cover. House prices go up they make tax free gains, house prices go down it just means buy more at a higher yield...

Labour immigration policy means even more profits!
                    We'll see With the delirious new world of retrospective taxation, the fine print on your BTL investment is going to need adjusting: "the past is not a guide to the past".

Comment

Working...
                    X