• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What can one lone trader at home achieve?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One would rationally think that if the markets need legislation to protect them from such a basic con trick causing so much devastation then there is an in built problem in the way the markets are working.

Of course we could always send them over Gordon Brown, Charlie Wheelan, Ed Balls and Ed Miliband to construct an iron clad system of checks and balances in a light touch regulatory environment.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Makes one proud to be British.

When I first read it I thought it might be the NTRT poster SantaClaus.....
      It's not me, but I know who it was. The guy was a top trader at Futex.

Seriously though, big corporations are fighting to site their HFT servers as close to the exchange as possible, even building fibre optic connections in a straight line to save nanoseconds. And you're telling me that this guy "Nav" caused the crash all by himself from a rundown semi in Hounslow?
      Last edited by SantaClaus; 22 April 2015, 21:23.
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        yes and lets be honest none of the big companies ever manipulate the market to their own advantage...

oh hang on of course they f**king do.

Sorry but for me this guy was a bit dodgy and played it a bit smart

the only reason he is being pursued is because he made the big boys look stupid

shocking witch hunt imho

although obviously HMRC should be interested in where all the companies money has gone.
        Exactly... another case of a game that little people are not allowed to join in.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          I was wondering if we agents could use a similar method for buying and selling contractors
          You do... spoofing is exactly the same as advertising non existant contracts

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

so he worked for that well known agent - S£
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Seriously though, big corporations are fighting to site their HFT servers as close to the exchange as possible, even building fibre optic connections in a straight line to save nanoseconds. And you're telling me that this guy "Nav" caused the crash all by himself from a rundown semi in Hounslow?
                I bet it was you and you blamed it on him!

Comment

It was actually very clever, he automatically placed loads of orders which caused the algorithmic trading machines at the banks and hedge funds to automatically buy and sell.

hmm

The problem is he was the one who was placing and cancelling orders all the others were trading and actually moving the market.

So he basically took over the algorithmic trading machines with a clever trick....very smart

I'm alright Jack

Comment

This is the bit I don't get. How was able to process these transactions so quick over the connections available to a typical household? Especially if you factor the potential losses of not cancelling an order in time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                      This is the bit I don't get. How was able to process these transactions so quick over the connections available to a typical household? Especially if you factor the potential losses of not cancelling an order in time.
                      He was placing limit orders at different price levels, they don't get executed immediately.

very clever ......
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X