• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

new road tax rules

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new road tax rules

As I pointed out last year they are a con

Scrapping car tax discs delivers '£38m double-charging windfall' | Daily Mail Online

Vote UKIP

Comment

Getting a new car on Friday so I'm falling right into this one.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

This is a KUATB squared:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...tax-discs.html
        http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ules-pita.html

However, pointing out that the government are bastards can never been done too many times in my view.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

One of those is the thread I started on it last year. It's a worse system IMHO. God knows how many more untaxed and uninsured cars are on the road now.

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
            One of those is the thread I started on it last year. It's a worse system IMHO. God knows how many more untaxed and uninsured cars are on the road now.
            Have to admit, my road tax renewal is a couple of months overdue now, and no fines in the post yet (although I know there are some road tax checking cameras dotted around).

But won't I have to get my road tax up to date, and backdated to when it expired, in order to renew my car insurance? (I certainly wouldn't drive uninsured.)
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Er, the insurance company prefers if you don't tax it as it invalidates your insurance.
              FTFY

money from old dopes

you know its on the computer don't you?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                FTFY

money from old dopes

you know its on the computer don't you?
                Urban myth. (The invalid insurance bit, not the computer bit)

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  Urban myth. (The invalid insurance bit, not the computer bit)
                  possibly but expect your insurance company to try.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    possibly but expect your insurance company to try.
                    Oh, if you're trying to claim for your own repairs/damages through fully comp absolutely* but there's so much scaremongering about "Doing [x] means you're not insured" which simply isn't true, because there's very little the insurer can do to not deal with a 3rd Party claimant. As that's the legal requirement, if you purchased insurance for that vehicle then you're almost certainly insured within those bounds.

That's not to say there's no repercussions, mind - if they cancel your insurance after the fact you've got problems going forwards!

*Mind you, I've had 2x fully comp claims and they never actually did any real due diligence then. Might be different now it's all electronic now, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                    X