• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Friend and partner splitting - who gets the house?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Willapp View Post
    But can he force a sale of the property? I don't know much about these situations, but if the mortgage is in his name alone, what's to stop him putting the property on the market? Granted not much chance of it selling if she refuses to let people view it, but if legally it isn't "her" house can she stop it getting sold?

Agree the child's needs come first, but if he's got £X equity tied up in the house is there really no way he can get at that money if she refuses to move out? That does seem a bit harsh on him...
    He could change the locks when she is out on the razz.
    I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
      Only his mum? So his father cannot take custody and have the bit live with him?
      He moved out so is stuffed. He should have stayed in the house.

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
        He could change the locks when she is out on the razz.
        He will then face an ex-parte custodial sentence. Quite rightly.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          He moved out so is stuffed. He should have stayed in the house.
          He has not moved out, they are still sharing the house.
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

He has not moved out, they are still sharing the house.
            Understood.

A court will look to keep the status quo. And look after the child. Perhaps the only thing that would help your friend if is she is the bread-winner. I assume they both work and she does most of the childcare?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Understood.

A court will look to keep the status quo. And look after the child. Perhaps the only thing that would help your friend if is she is the bread-winner. I assume they both work and she does most of the childcare?
              Yeah, I think she works too but she is the main care giver and he is the main earner.
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Yeah, I think she works too but she is the main care giver and he is the main earner.

drip, drip, drip , drip
                (\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Having thought about this (!) I wonder what his new gf makes of this? Surely she wants the child to come first?

But maybe she doesn't. Women are supposed to be the natural child carers but many instances where they do not.

Remember the Plymouth child picture scandal? That bloke approached women on facebook and chatted to 20. He turned the conversation to the subject he wanted. 16 of them went away - without telling the police! 4 went ahead and took pictures!

Then there was Paula Yates. The mother of baby Peter. Need I go on?

I believe that both parents should have equal responsibility - until events prove them otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                  X