• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should the UK respect the cultures of other countries?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disliking aspects of someone's culture isn't racism. Regarding some aspects of a culture as appallingly medieval and barbaric, according to the measure of your own culture, seems perfectly reasonable to me. Otherwise you're respecting all cultures except your own. I know some kinds of liberals go in for that kind of self-flagellation though.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

To each their own...but do feel lucky that you were born here.
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
        If that's what you really believe......
        Well I do have the advantage of:
        1. Being female
        2. Having worked in other European countries which includes those with more equality between the sexes

BTW FGM is prevalent in Indonesia amongst the Muslim population so it would be more obvious on examination that some women aren't virgins.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

When I was younger, I was propositioned so many times
          I got propositioned on about my 2nd day there. Not by a woman unfortunately. Mind you that was a long time ago. Indonesia is not the relatively tolerant Muslim country it used to be, like all the others it's getting more extreme every year.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            I got propositioned on about my 2nd day there. Not by a woman unfortunately. Mind you that was a long time ago. Indonesia is not the relatively tolerant Muslim country it used to be, like all the others it's getting more extreme every year.
            Would not surprise if it gets load of money from Saudi which than sets up its Wahabi/Salafist schools there and lobbies the government.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
              Are beer and blow jobs allowed in Wales?!?! Erections are now banned in Scotland.
              Whereas erections are held in Japan every 4 years.

And no, we shouldn't respect any culture that is so backwards that it uses religion to justify such barbaric practices.
              Last edited by tractor; 18 May 2015, 08:18.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                I miss those days before kids, wife and a dog. Free to roam the world, stocking up my tat shop. I learnt both Indonesian and Thai. Travelled around both countries, islands. Been on the top of an active volcano at 3am gazing at the stars and lava. Motor biking around Northern Thailand, Laos. Being chased by opium drug smugglers with machetes in Burma. Fights with drug dealers in Katmandu. Staring at the Milky Way at the top of the Himalayas, watching the static of your yak sheets burst into colour in the dry air, buying and taking school supplies to refuges in the Golden triangle, seeing who had the biggest todger in a ladyboy Thai boxing changing room.

And here I am texting in a expensive wine bar in Santana Rowe with designer clad Silicon Valley American wannabes laughing loudly and listening to a covers band of middle aged hippies.

Sigh. When did I sell out.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  And here I am texting in a expensive wine bar in Santana Rowe with designer clad Silicon Valley American wannabes laughing loudly and listening to a covers band of middle aged hippies.

Sigh. When did I sell out.
                  Salary Slut!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Salary Slut!
                    Just 18 months and that's me set for life.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      Just 18 months and that's me set for life.
                      good luck!
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X