• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The latest immigration figures....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
    I thought Scotland wanted high immigration? Weren't they bleating on about needing more workers?
    Yeah but I think if they did leave the Union they'd be quite keen to keep it so that they only get migrants with the skillsets they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
      yesss well my conscience is clear but I wonder how many other people are beginning to have regrets?

'A Brighter, more secure future' under Dave Cameron?

Yes it's terrible that after we voted him in, he went back in time and did this.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

With migrants flooding the jobs market wages are being pushed downwards.

Migrants causing a glut of skilled workers
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

We are also getting migrants with skills that we do not need
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

So sayeth the Mail, however it could be that us Brits are just unskilled ****ers: https://fullfact.org/economy/low_pro..._germany-45141
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

But when you look at the unemployment figures, the least productive are not the white British but some ethnic minorities that previous immigration has given us:

http://researchbriefings.files.parli...85/SN06385.pdf

Low productivity is not unrelated to immigration in other ways, as it says in your link, we invest less in infrastructure. The infrastructure requirement, roads, rail, water, power etc is not an absolute but is related to population. As it also says, "Congested roads and crowded railways make commuting unpleasant, and moving goods around the country more expensive". Trains and roads are very congested in the South and that has not been helped by adding 10%+ to the population in many areas, and that is only the foreign born, it does not include their offspring born here.

On a wider note, allowing companies to depend on cheap labour rather than improve efficiency and invest in machinery can hardly be helping either. One example, all the migrant car washes that have been opened in the South East, they are everywhere around here. Meanwhile that expensive automatic car wash your local garage spent so much on is hardly used.
              Last edited by xoggoth; 22 May 2015, 08:40.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

oh yes that's due to Labour's lax immigration policy.....oh hang on
                In part, yes it is. Look at any country and you will see that migrants prefer to go to the nations and regions within those nations where there is already a significant population of their own countrymen. Had the Labour government adopted the temporary restrictions on Poland and the other countries in 2004 the UK would not be such a draw today.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  We are also getting migrants with skills that we do not need

unemployment keeps going down so somebody is hiring them. With ultra-low productivity cheap labour is the only thing that sustains the UK at the moment...and Cameron knows it.
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Although Germany which has many more immigrants than the UK still manages to produce more per head....It would be interesting to see how Luxembourg rates as well as that, in recent years, has had a very high rate of immigration
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      Although Germany which has many more immigrants than the UK still manages to produce more per head....It would be interesting to see how Luxembourg rates as well as that, in recent years, has had a very high rate of immigration
                      What counts as low skilled migration in Germany, someone without a degree?

Comment

Working...
                      X